Maxima performance chips - Snake Oil??

Do these things actually work, or just more hype or even worse? Thanks

"CHEAP WAY TO ADD RELIABLE HORSEPOWER!! This chip does not void your warranty, and will not damage your car in any way.This chip adjusts your air fuel mixture and tells the computer that cool air is entering your motor, and free's up wasted HP!!!! Gains can range from 10-20HP depending on mods and type of engine. Your torque is increased and 1/4 mile times rapidly drop. YOU WILL NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE!! ALSO, This is not the cheap five dollar chip that people have been selling on ebay. This is a high quality chip that will certainly add horsepower and torque without sacrificing RELIABILITY like the cheap ones."

Reply to
cadmus

Beware of "chips" that aren't ECU upgrades. The one you listed from Ebay is like a whole host of scams that purport to gain power without the proof to go with it. This "chip" is probably some resister in a plastic box that splices into the intake temp sensor into thinking cool air is had all the time. Like the thottle body coolant bypass, I would just be the skeptic and move on.

Legitimate ECU upgrades require you to send in your ECU for modification...typically in the form of a daughtercard added to your main ECU board which supercedes stock program data.

CW

Reply to
CWu

That one is probably hype. One other thing you need to watch for. Most ECU's on cars '95 and later aren't reprogrammable. I believe it has something to do with the rat bastards at CARB putting restrictions on the ECU's of OBD-II vehicles. If you have a '94 or earlier car/truck then you should have no problem getting a reprogrammable ECU. I know Jet has one Hyperchip has one... There are many others.

Reply to
The Creature From Groom Lake

Reply to
unknown user

I don't think ANYONE can make them share proprietary information. That'd be like telling software companies they need to share source code with their competitors. The Big 3, on the other hand, do share some information--but I think they do it because they are all "domestics" and have a mutual interest to remain competitive.

ECU upgrades are typically developed by reverse engineering ECU's. Depending on make, it can be easy or very difficult. Then one has to decide if there is enough of an aftermarket demand to warrant such an endeavor.

I know Maxima 97+ owners would love to see an ECU upgrade but it probably isn't going to happen because the enthusiast demand isn't worth the effort it takes. I would especially like to see what improvements to the VQ3.5 can be had...

CW

Reply to
CWu