MP3 Input to Nissan Maxima Bose System ?

I have a 1998 (4th generation) Nissan Maxima with the Bose stereo, and don't want to replace it. Especially because the diversity antenna system is too good to give up.

Would like to know if there is a reasonable way to get MP3 function into the system. There's no accessory port in the front, and as far as I know the only accessory input in the rear is for a remote CD changer.

If anyone has a solution that provides reasonable sound quality and convenience, please let me know.

-- Best wishes,

Richard Galli

We don't have thousands of books... We have two books worth reading

Sign up for our newsletter

Richard Galli

There's no easy way out. Your CD deck cannot decode MP3 so that means you must have some sort of a line in from your rear CD changer. But you probably can't operate your MP3 unit that's in your trunk from the cabin, the remote probably won't work. Consider that some MP3 decks can be had for like CND $250 with installation included. I don't think it make sense to go through all these hassle just to save the factory CD deck.

Reply to
Goldfinger

I use a memorex personal mp3/cd player ($75) that I have the casette adapter for.

Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti

I agree. I'd use a walkman style MP3 player with a cassette adapter. It gives you MP3 as well as a walkman for versatility. Also, faxtory stereo is not as likely to cause a break-in.

Reply to
Miles Teg

Reply to
Rich

Either of these will reduce output frequency range and lower sound quality.

I don't know what the diversity antenna system is (my Bose is a 97), but aftermarket reception is excellent and some models have very advanced features. All you need is a Scosche adapter to put a standard headunit on a Bose system.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Could you elaborate on the Scosche adapter please? I'm interested in what you meant by putting a standard headunit on a Bose system. Thanks.

Reply to
Goldfinger

Also, can such adapters be used to connect the stock bose headunit with aftermarket speakers? TIA. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

BeeP

The diversity antenna system is this:

Two different antenna inputs, one a fender mount mast (standard) and the other built into the rear window. The radio's electronics discriminate between the two input signals, choosing the better of the two to feed the sound system. The system constantly re-evaluates and switches over seamlessly so the listener doesn't know it's happening.

Recent experience convinces me that the diversity system is MUCH superior to the FM reception of aftermarket head units. I tried to put new head units in my wife's car, a brand new Chrysler Sebring with the lowest model factory system. I tried a Pioneer with Supertuner IIID, an Eclipse, and a top-end Blaupunkt Los Angeles with its new Digiceiver technology. None of them could match the base Chrysler factory unit in FM reception, and the Nissan/Bose diversity system was very much superior to all the rest. And by very much I mean VERY much.

I tested them all under the same conditions, driving the same route and in some cases within a few minutes of each other. There is really no question in my mind that modern receivers are developing in the areas of display graphics (all the rage, but who listens to a display???), MP3 and satellite playback... but NOT in FM reception. So it makes sense to keep the Nissan/Bose and NOT put in a factory head to replace it.

By the way, based on everything I had read on groups like this one, I had convinced my wife that a new high-end replacement unit would murder a low-end factory system for FM reception. Boy was I surprised. All three of the new ones sucked, and they all sucked equally badly.

-- Best wishes,

Richard Galli

| > > Would like to know if there is a reasonable way to get MP3 function into | > the | > > system. There's no accessory port in the front, and as far as I know the | > > only accessory input in the rear is for a remote CD changer. | > >

| > > If anyone has a solution that provides reasonable sound quality and | > > convenience, please let me know. | > >

| > > -- | > > Best wishes, | > >

| > > Richard Galli | > >

| > > We don't have thousands of books... | > > We have two books worth reading | > >

| > > Sign up for our newsletter | > >

| |

Reply to
Richard Galli

Although an adaptor may be required, an amplifier would be required. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff