Maxima 1997 vibration

Just bought an 97 Maxima and I start noticing slight vibration of the driver side front end. It is slight vibrations at every speed that seem to come from the floor just where the front wheel is.

When I brought the car to a dealership for a check up, it was say that the rotors were warped and the tires were feathered. Not a big deal as I plan on having the rotors resurfaced and the alignment done once I bought the car.

Can these sligh vibrations be attributed to the rotors and alignment, then? I certainly didn't notice them being there when I test drove the car. Thanks.

Reply to
goldfgn

Yes and Yes. Get them both done. Make SURE the shop tightens the lug nuts to the correct torque specs or else the rotors will warp again. Sadly, every shop says they do it, but my torque wrench tells a different story. Every time my car is worked on I have to immediately retorque them.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Also be sure tire pressure is on spec all the time. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

Sadly,

alignment,

drove

Reply to
BeeP

When I brought the car to a dealership for a check up, it was say that the rotors were warped and the tires were feathered. Not a big deal as I plan on having the rotors resurfaced and the alignment done once I bought the car.

Can these sligh vibrations be attributed to the rotors and alignment, then? I certainly didn't notice them being there when I test drove the car. Thanks.

Reply to
Boots Crofoot

Vibration _all_ the time is most likely wheel balance, not alignment. Alignment can cause vibration, but it's not the norm. However, bad alignment will cause odd tire wear, which will eventually unbalance the tires, which will cause vibration.

Get the tires checked for balance first. Follow up with an alignment. Solve this problem first. If the tires are hosed, you may have to replace them. If there is still vibration when _braking_ after the general vibration problem is solved, then you need to move to checking the brakes for rotor warping.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I just got the tires rebalanced and the vibration situation improved a bit but it's still there. Perhaps I didn't explain it entirely correct at first. When you start the engine at Park the vibration is not there but soon you put it in Drive, you can feel a very faint vibration through the floor, the gas or brake pedals at idle. When cruising, you also get a faint sensation of the front left wheel rotating.

I drove my friend's 96 Max once for comparision and I noticed the same feeling as well, though not as strong as mine. Maybe I shouln't classify the vibration as vibration as it's more like the slight shaking sensation you get when a plan is flying above your home.

Do all Maximas drive this way or am I being too sensative here? Thanks.

Reply to
Goldfinger