Power steering squeals on cold start

Hi !

My 98 Nissan Maxima emits a loud squeal when I turn the wheels afer a cold start. I've never ever driven until the engine's warmed up for about a minute, and it idles at around 1000 rpm right after start. (This, of course, goes lower once it's hot.)

The noise starts the moment I turn the wheels left or right, not even close to the end of the range; it's almost like the noise when brake pads need replacement.

If I turn the engine off at this point, and turn the key once again, this sound goes away (till the next time I start it up.)

I'm using manufacturer-recommended Dexron III oil for the power steering, and I never had this problem when it was warmer here in Virginia, or during the time I drove in Georgia.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance, :)

Reply to
Manas Tungare

Perhaps the belt is slipping. Cold start, hard low speed turns are probably when the power steering pump draws maximum torque off the belt. It might take extra uumph if the oil hasn't been circulated and everything is cold. I'd try tightening it a bit or replacing it if it's due.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Sounds like it's time for a new belt.