Replacement of steering wheel radio controls on 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee ?

Is it difficult to replace the stereo control switches (on the steering wheel) in a 2000 JGC ??

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

Never done this myself but I'm always hessitant to do that type of work especially when your dealing with an airbag. All those wires run through the clockwork cable which has to stay correctly aligned or the wires will get ripped out in a turn.

If you are going to try I strongly suggest disconnecting the battery and while removing the airbag never sit in front of the steering wheel. Also never store an airbag face-down. If it goes off the bag will propel it right trough the garage ceiling.

My solution was installing a better sterio. :)

Reply to
DougW

Good points, Doug. But, I am happy with my stereo, but the controls have become flaky. I think that the spring tensioners in both of them have gone bad. Didn't realize you have to take the airbag out...... I thought the switches may be removed from the underside of the steering wheel. Would not attempt to remove the airbag myself !!

James

Reply to
James

I don't know if the airbag has to come out or not. Doesn't hurt to look, but most operations on steering wheels require removing the bag. Even if just to get to a couple of silly screws that hold things in place. :(

Reply to
DougW