Running hot or is it?

I have a 1990 Maxima and usually the temp indicator needle stays halfway but for the last couple of days the needle moves over towards the hot area about 3/4 ways past cool after being driven for awhile. Sometimes it goes back to halfway but mostly it stays on the 3/4 mark. I did the obvious of checking the radiator and the resourvoir and both are full with fluids. The cooling fan comes on intermittingly. The engine hasn't actually ran hot and when I turn the car off and immediately start it up again the needle goes back to the 1/2 way mark. Could this be a sensor problem and if so are we talking expensive? And if not what could be causing this?

Reply to
ladywhy

I would go ahead and change out the engine temp sensor and temp sending sensor- both are located above the thermostat area. They are cylindrical copper sensors that screw into the housing. They aren't very expensive and if they haven't been replaced yet, might be a good time to do it. I'm not guaranteeing this is the fix, but it's a good start and won't cost much. Also, replacing the t-stat would be a good idea. The t-stat is not very easy to reinstall as it's in a tight location, but if you're mechanically inclined, you'll figure it out! Make sure to use a Nissan-brand stat also.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

All good suggestions, but this may also be a sign that the water pump is failing. A worn out t-stat is more likely to show up as an engine that won't get warm, not one that is running hot. He could also have worn blades on the water pump and not getting good coolant flow.

When is the last time the water pump was replaced? If it's been over 75k miles, then you should think about doing the entire water pump/timing belt replacement. And do the t-stat and sensors while you're in there.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

Not if it's not opening at the right temp or not opening up all the way..

That's not very likely, I've seen probably 3 in 25 years of working on cars and all 3 had straight water in them for years.

My guess is the radiator is crapping out. He needs to find out for sure if it's actually running hot or not and fix it if it is before it ruins the engine.

Reply to
Steve T

How does the inside of the radiator look, could have build up in the vanes restricting water flow. Is this original radiator? When was coolant changed out? If radiator looks good and fluid change is recent. I would change

1) Thermostat 2) Radiator 3) Temp sensors
Reply to
jjjsan