Remove, or not remove that is the question (Air Silencer)

Anyone have an opinion on removing the silencer from a 99-03(4) GT?

I have read where you gain nothing, +5 RWHP, and -5 RWHP. I went ahead and pulled mine off the other day, and I swear that while she's louder she feels a little more sluggish. Now I'm wondering if I should put it back on again. I'm running a K&N in her, which I put in probably 7K miles ago.

Reply to
AW

no it is designed for maximum flow its job is to reduce noise

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

Hot under hood air will cause a drop in power. Put it back on, mark where it goes through the inner fender and cut it off a 1/4 inch past the mark. The opening will be much larger and it will still pull in cooler air from the fender.

Reply to
WraithCobra

That's what I was thinking of doing. I did exactly that with my last one too. I think I'll hit a junk yard and pick up another silencer to cut so I can leave the original alone though. :-)

Reply to
AW

Actually David Lyons proved that inaccurate several years ago when testing the temp under the hood of his GN. As soon as the car moved more than five feet the underhood air temp droppedto the same as it was inside the fender.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I removed it in the '98 GT I owned when I lived in south Florida. After a long hot day in the parking lot at work it got mighty damn hot under the hood. After I removed it, every day after work the car ran and idled like crap for 15 minutes until I got to the highway and the airflow was enough to bring the under hood temps down. I put the cut version back in and the after work problems were cured. That is my experience with no silencer and high under hood temps. I also cut the one in the '00 GT I owned, but I have an open filter under the hood of the Cobra.

Reply to
WraithCobra

And you are certain that was not from the radiator fan blowing air on to the airfilter? It was my experience that when removing the cover it caused poor idle and low RPM runing. Also, I'm not so sure you would notice the difference in power when sucking hot air by just driving. I can not tell a difference one way to the other in my Mustang.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I'm sure it was the hot under hood temps, filter was still incased in the stock housing so fan wash couldn't have been the trouble. Not only does the hot air lower the air density, the computer lowers the timing due to the higher IAT temps. The GN filter may not be in the dead spot behind the light as in the Mustang. I don't have a link, but I remember a dyno test with an open filter showing a 3 to 5 HP loss with hood closed vs. hood open. At lower speeds and in traffic the hot under hood air caused driveability problems in my '98 GT with out the snorkel to the fender, modifying and replacing it cured those problems.

Reply to
WraithCobra