Running hot or is it?

I have a 1990 Maxima and usually the temp indicator needle stays halfway but for the last couple of days the needle moves over towards the hot area about 3/4 ways past cool after being driven for awhile. Sometimes it goes back to halfway but mostly it stays on the 3/4 mark. I did the obvious of checking the radiator and the resourvoir and both are full with fluids. The cooling fan comes on intermittingly. The engine hasn't actually ran hot and when I turn the car off and immediately start it up again the needle goes back to the 1/2 way mark. Could this be a sensor problem and if so are we talking expensive? And if not what could be causing this?

Best regards, snipped-for-privacy@bankarea.com snipped-for-privacy@bankarea.com

danny.demaray

I would change out the engine coolant temperature sensor. They're about $20 and should be fairly easy to change (it is easy on my 97). You will also see improved fuel economy if the current sensor isn't functioning correctly.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Sounds like a coolant sensor. Cheap and easy to replace. It's on the upper part of the engine, on the passenger side (front of the engine).You'll need to drain some of the coolant, but not much, maybe a half-gallon. Just enough to get it below the sensor.

If the system is working properly, the guage needle will point at the "P" in "TEMP" and never move from there. You shouldn't see any fluctuation at all. That's how mine works, whether it's 90 outside, or below zero. The VG30E engine has an excellent cooling system.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

Is it the sensor? Is it the thermostat or something else?

For 13 bucks at walmart, you can buy a kitchen digital thermometer that you can use to measure the temperature of the water in the radiator.

Measure the water temp when the indicator gauge is reading normal and read it again when it reads hot. Make sure you open the radiator cap, protecting yourself against water and steam burns, and remember to relieve the pressure inside the radiator before taking the cap completely off.

snipped-for-privacy@balcanicsoft.com wrote:

Reply to
AS