Transmission acts normal at all speeds with overdrive off, not with OD enabled

My 1992 Maxima with 101,000 miles is having transmission problems. With overdrive enabled, It downshifts prematurely and often doesn't upshift until the engine is turning at well over 5,000 RPM, even I am accelerating slowly. This problem occurs at any speed, from freeway speeds to accelerating moderately from a stop sign. The odd thing is that this problem does not occur at any speed if I switch off (disable) the overdrive with the button on the shift lever.

Does this sound like a major mechanical problem in the transmission or maybe the throttle position sensor or other problem? Why would it behave as it normally would with the OD disabled when it has problems when OD is enabled? The car has not been driven hard but there did appear to be some degree of discoloration in the transmission fluid (more light-medium brown than red). The fluid has been changed with no effect.

Any ideas about the cause and solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
mikengroups

Geez I didnt want to bring this up as I have a different problem with my

2001, (posted in this group recently). But le me say that my 1994 Max with 189k has exactly these symptoms. Look for the responses in here. Bottom line was on a total re-build cost was 1500 to 1800 bucks. I have yet to have the tranny analyzed at my local shop (upstate n.y.) but Will soon. My regular mechanic says that it could last quite a while driving with OD off around town. So I may do just that as the engine still runs like a bear and does not burn any oil.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb