VQ35DE in 4th gen????

Can this be done? Will it bolt up to the existing tranny? How much fabrication would be involved?anyone have any experience doing this? With the extra 60 HP on tap with a REDUCED weight it SEEMS like a good idea. So shoot holes in it...I'm ready! :-) I found a cheap new engine and just wondered if it could be done fairly easily, Thanks Bitsbucket

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Reduced weight? the VQ30 was already all aluminum, and Nissan's not in the market for using titanium parts in it's motor. That's Porsche territory. In other words, $$$$$$$$$$. So, how does the VQ35 wind up weighing less than the VQ30?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:28:55 -0400, Codifus graced us with:

I believe it does weigh less - how much, I don't know. I remember reading about it when they came out with the design - .5 L more displacement in the same size package. They did so by using some super-strength aluminum walls, which are thinner and lighter - yet stronger than the aluminum they put into the VQ30 engines.

kai

- The Mobile Gaming Site
- Project Management Central

kai at 3gproductions dot com

Reply to
filesiteguy

I HEARD (that means read on the net so take it for what it is worth) it's about 50 lbs lighter.... bitsbucket

Reply to
Bitsbucket

It's a reasonable question, but, yeah, word was when it came out that it was lighter. It's all in the specific alloy used. Stronger, thinner, lighter.

The way the tranny, a/c, etc. talk with the engine, everything has to be fine-tuned to work properly. If you just slap a new engine in there, I think you may be in for a world of hurt. Just say no.

JM

Reply to
JM

Wow. That's really impressive. This VQ series really just keeps getting better and better. I used to be a bit envious of the VQ35, now I am much more so:) Wards auto better give Nissan another award.

Of course now competition is heating up. Have you guys noticed the new V6 in the new Audi A6? 255 hp out of 3.1 liters of displacement, normally aspirated. How? direct injection, a technology that until now was only in diesel engines. That is the engine to watch in my book.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:56:36 -0400, "Bitsbucket" pecked out:

Okay...

Per:

The VQ35 is a bored out VQ30 with dual stage intake and new timing chain/water pump.

About a half hour of googling and that's all I could find. There was one forum posting where someone thought the VQ35 weighed about 30 pounds less than the VQ30.

I also found a Z forum where they were discussing the possibility of Nissan going back to the 3.0 engines and turbo charging the Z since they can't really put much boost into the blocks of the 3.5 engine, and that the 4.0 L engine would put too much weight into the car.

Interesting.

kai

kai at 3gproductions dot com

"In fact I have been blown up ridiculously often, shot at, insulted, regularly disintegrated, deprived of tea, and recently I crashed into a swamp and had to spend five years in a damp cave..."

-Arthur

Reply to
filesiteguy

I know of one person who right now is in the process of putting a VQ35 into a 4th gen Maxima. Last I heard he has the engine in and is working through harness details.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Make that two people, one of them is running.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Steve Manifold scratched out in the sand

Thinking about the cost/effort, wouldn't one just be better off putting a supercharger / headers / y-exhaust / dual pipe configuration in?

You'd probably end up with more HP.

Reply to
filesiteguy

These guys are taking the bottom end (pistons, block, oil pan etc) of the Vq35 and dropping the the VQ30s cylinderhead on top block, therby bypassing the need to adjust/change electronics etc?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

One guy has done a complete engine swap including heads, harness and ecu. The other didn't mention harness and ecu, but I don't see how he could have done it otherwise.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Most definitely, regarding the SC. Some people are into all-motor performance, though.

Reply to
Steve Manifold