Windshield wiper liftoff

At highway speeds my wipers are not as effective in dealing with rain as at slower speeds.

I want to add some spoilers or something that will give a modest downward pressure to keep the blade firmly against the windshield.

Would anyone have any recommendations on what/where to purchase something like this. I had bought some plastic widgets a while ago, but being plastic, they barely lasted through the cold winter and they did not attach very well either.

I suspect that there must be some good looking and reasonably priced aftermarket things available, and something that works well on the Maxima is best.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Pia makes these for lots of applications.

Reply to
Warner Crump

PIA?

Pakistan Information Association. Pia Zadora. Programmed Input Accessibility.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

I think he was trying to say PIAA. Anyhow, I bought these spring "helpers" for the same exact situation on my wife's car, a 96 Nissan Altima. This was after trying the wings, replacing blades etc. The addon springs, which help the OEM spring inside the spring arm to force the wipers onto the windshield. I forgot the name of the company where I got them from. I'll search at home for a receipt. They really did the trick, and they are less obtrusive than wings, too.

CD

Reply to
codifus

This is the site;

They worked wonders for me.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Many thanks, that's the ticket as they say.

rtt

I still never heard of PIAA

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

PIAA = P. O. S.

I bought a set of headlight bulbs by them, they both evenly burned out in less than a year. $60 down the drain. They are supposed to provide more light, well maybe a little but not really noticeable.

Reply to
Roger

Found them on the internet, PIAA, that is.

I am going to go to their local supplier to see what the wipers look like before I break out money on them or the springs.

My big problem with the springs is that my windshield wipes work at speeds up to around 100, and they work properly, that is the wiper blades flip back and forth, but with heavy duty springs, I have seen on another car, the wiper blades did not flip back and forth so they squeegee one way and scraped coming back, thus defeating their designed operation. Beyond 100, the blades start to lift so wings were a solution until the plastic broke down.

I think blade design has got to change, so has monkey piss (washer fluid) delivery. Chrysler has good monkey piss delivery, jets that travel along the edge of the wiper and spray the tailing/forward edge of the wipe, depending on swipe.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

PIAA wiperblades are, perhaps, the best on the market and I don't think you'll be disappointed in their performance. But whether they'll work any better at speed due to lifting is another thing altogether.

Reply to
Dan

So you're saying that you drive faster than 100 mph when it's raining?

Steve Green

Reply to
Steve Green

Actually, 100 kph, kilometre per hour, here in the Great White North. I think that that's just around 60 mph or so.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

They very well may be, but I haven't tried them myself.

Years ago someone here recommended Bosch blades which I tried.. and I have not seen anything that works better. The Tridons, Ancos, etc. available at the auto stores just $uck.

Reply to
Pat

Reply to
Gerard