98 Maxima GXE - Help with Repair?

My '98 Maxima Turned 66666 miles today. :)

For the past few weeks, it has been making an awful squeaking noise, right when I start it up. I took it into the local shop where I had my

60,000 mile service done and they just called to inform me that I need a new valve tensioner - the old one broke off. (Three days to order and recieve.)

I asked the mechanic if this could have anything to do with the service, as I am hesitant to order, since it hasn't been exactly right ever since the service.

He, of course, said, "no it just happened, and that'll be $170 for the part and $150 for the labor."

I am wondering what you out there think. What should I do here?

For refrence I have an earlier post about the subject when I took it in...

or

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
filesiteguy

Labor seems kinda high, but often the tensioner does break when you try to tighten or release it due to age. Probably couldn't have been avoided unless it was left alone.

Roger

Yeah, I took it to a trustworthy mechanic. He popped the hood and instantly found the problem. It appears the bolt sheared off and the tensioner is - not tense.

He's gonna work on it tomorrow. I drove it home today and he was gonna get the part from a Nissan supplier he knows.

Couln't the shop have used WD-40 or something on the bolt before breaking it?

Geez!

Reply to
filesiteguy

End of story being: Mechanic replace part, charged $147 for parts and labor.

filesiteguy