Yokohama Avid V4S

Hi gurus,

After reading up, all that I can lay my eyes on, on tires for my Maxima, I have zeroed it down to Yok. Avid V4S. I am planning on getting them from tirerack (@ $105+shipping).

I have been a long time silent viewer of this group, thus wanted to get y'all opnion/suggestions before I go ahead and make a purchase. I am an average driver, live in NE, and computer to work (~30mi) each day.

thank you all for your greatly helpful suggestions/comments,

Reply to
soright

You don't state the year/trim of your Maxima... (wheel size)..

I have Yokohama Avid H4s on my 96 GLE - the V4s are similar, but carry a higher speed rating (V as opposed to H). I am very happy with the traction/performance/noise/ride qualities of the H4s - especially at their price point. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Avid V4s if you choose to go down that path.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 121k
Reply to
njmodi

Sorry about that, I have an '02 SE and I have stock tires on (225/50R

17).

thank you for you valuable > You don't state the year/trim of your Maxima... (wheel size)..

Reply to
soright

I bought Toyo Proxes 4's for my '00 SE and have been very pleased during the initial 10K miles. I believe they were around $115/tire.

Brad

Reply to
Naxray

I have a set of Avid V4's on my 99 GLE, size 215 55 16. I've put 30k miles on them. I also had a set of Avid H4's on a 95 GXE 215 60 15 (until we sold the car three weeks ago). Both cars have OEM Maxima aluminum wheels.

I purchased both sets of tires from Tirerack. I thought then, and still think, that they are a good value.

These are fairly hard, long lasting tires. In the case of the 95 GXE, the ride quality was very good. The tires were pretty quiet, smooth running, and great in all sorts of weather. The tread pattern is directional and fairly aggressive. The sidewalls stood up to the weather and did not dry rot.

I'm not as happy with the V4's on the 99 GLE. The tires are very hard, and loud at about any speed. I'm thinking about replacing them although they still have plenty of life remaining. The car may have other as yet undiagnosed issues (balance, alignment, steering components, etc.), but the noise and vibration at highway speeds is annoying.

Tirerack tracks lots of customer critiques. This is a good source of more info. Also, Yoko may have improved the tire since I purchased mine. The new designation is "V4S." Mine are the older tires without the "S."

Jim G

Reply to
Jim G

Jim

Any reason you opted for the V4 over the H4 series? The GLE only needs H-rated tires.

How many miles on the 99? I would definitely advice a balance/rototation to make sure the tires are indeed the problem before replacing them. Even after that, worn suspension/chassis components might be causing the vibrations.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Thanks Nirav,

The 99 has 80k miles. Sometimes I blow the dust off the car on a lonely stretch of road. I thought I might like performance tires for my five minutes of fun.

The problem with the vibration is I don't trust anyone to do the work correctly. I've had several balance jobs and alignments. My local Nissan dealer did this work most recently. I'm still unsatisfied.

I'm tempted to get a Porsche!

Jim G

Reply to
Jim G

I have these tires on my 01 Max SE (that I'm currently selling) I have to say NIGHT and DAY between the bridgestone crappenzas that came stock. (they were crap after about 25k on them) the yoko avid V4's are MUCH better in the rain and dry traction is improved, I found them to be SLIGHTLY louder than the stock tires, but nothing you'll really notice. I never got the chance to see their snow performance but form the reviews they are good for an all season. trust me you'll like them and with a 50k mileage warranty, you'll like them for a while

-Nick

Reply to
Dr Nick