106 GTI misfires on light throttle

Hi,

If I'm touching the throttle very lightly (for instance, trying to go exactly

30mph in 3rd, particularly when going downhill and I barely have to touch the pedal), the car feels as if:

a) it's misfiring b) fuel is coming through in spurts, or c) the ecu can't decide whether the gas pedal is pressed or not, so it alternates between the two once or twice a second.

These are just my non-technical guesses, it could be something completely unrelated. It's pretty violent in the lower gears (in first, it feels as though I'm taking my foot on and off the gas pedal repeatedly). To get past the problem, I give it a little more gas, but since this propels me towards the car in front much faster, I have to back off for a bit, then accelerate again, so I end up sort of kangarooing along the road... I have the throttle cable set up pretty slack (I think it's about 4 notches down from being too tight) so it's reasonably smooth, but even when it's tighter I have the same problem.

My car's a 98S - any ideas what this might be? It bugs the hell out of me, but any time I'm at the garage it's usually okay :(

Thanks, Graeme.

Reply to
Graeme Bunyan

Likely candidates are...

- Lambda Sensor - MAP Sensor - Throttle Potentiometer

Get it to the dealer and have it hooked up to the diagnostic computer, this will tell you the problem and you can get it sorted before you do any damage.

Reply to
Rich D

When mine started to pink I went to Peugeot. I over time went to Peugeot 5 times for the same thing, although after a couple of times they said I needed a new map sensor which I gladly bought and it reduced my pinking by no end. My car doesnt like heat and as soon as the needle goes over 90 degrees it pinks under medium acceleration or up hills. In the end Peugeot tell me its the grade of petrol i use and the fact that i used Tesco petrol. I used other petrol from elsewhere and it DID get better but didnt go away. I just put up with it now but have read in a few places that the 1.6 XT had finniky fuel probs so I just put up with it now. Sounds awful in a built up area mind!!

Apparently it seems that old methods are still used to diagnose problems. They get a fault code which tells the mechanics where the prob is and then they go through all the possible combinations which could be causing the problem. I dont go to peugeot now, unless its for something that i feel requires a genuine peugeot part regardless if the equivalent can be bought elsewhere for cheaper.

If you take your pug to ur dealer they will give u a list of things ur prob could be. Lambda sensor, nok sensor, map sensor, air filter, oil, plugs, grade of petrol, all of these things they will GUESS at, all of which are not cheap and all of which rely on something else for it to do its job properly. Ive tried all of these listed remedies and none worked. Seems that its just "one of those things".

happy happy joy joy!

scott

Reply to
scott