Mk2 Golf GTi, intermittent misfire / rough running

Hi all,

My 8v recently started to develop an intermittent problem with what feels like a misfire. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's cold or hot, I started it last night and it was kangarooing really violently, then today it was as good as gold when I drove it into the garage. When it has done this, I could swear there has been a smell of fuel, which made me think no spark on one or more cylinders. Power is well down when it's like this. Cap, rotor, plugs and leads are all pretty new.

Originally when it started happening, I would pull over and lift the bonnet to see if I could see anything wrong, but it all looked fine. One time, I thought pushing the ignition lead plugs more tightly onto the dizzy in case there was a loose connection made a difference, but now I think that was a red herring, as it hasn't worked since. Other times, it has corrected itself - one time it was kangarooing so badly it was frightening, then I could swear the vibration shaked something back into place, as it started to run fine with no assistance.

I'm going to check the hall sensor and other ignition components with a multimeter, and have a look inside the cap, but what really worries me is the intermittent nature of the fault. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the wiring was baked after 133000 miles - e.g. the coolant level sensor wiring is faulty - I know this as I've changed the sensor and the light's still on.

I know I've been a bit vague but if anyone has any (informed) ideas I'd like to hear them.

Antony

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

What year is it? Pre 87 cars ran K-jet, post 87 ran Digifant.

Reply to
Doki

It's an '88 Digifant.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Not a clue. I'd be tempted to buy a spares car and swap parts until it worked...

Reply to
Doki

In news:463349d3$0$10727$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Antony Gelberg wittered on forthwith;

Mine ('89 Digipants) did this when I first fitted the new engine.

Pull the plug leads off one at a time with the engine running, the one that makes no difference (and will probably send an interesting shiver up your arm) will be the cause. Replace the leads, it's about £22 for a set from GSF.

The wiring is unlikely to be the cause, Mk2 wiring tends to be quite good.

Reply to
Pete M