106 Headlights

For the last week, i've had problems with my headlights(i have side lights, and maine beem but no dipped headlights. orignially i thought it was the dim dip resistor, but after a friend had a look at it today, he rekons that theres no feed to the relay, because when he by passes it direct from the battery the lights come on. Has anyone got any ideas as to where this feed comes from or what the problem might be, he thinks it could possibly be the switch inside.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick Gard via CarKB.com

Hi

Seen this problem before on a 1991 106 XSI.

Turned out to be a dirty connection on the electrical terminals at the relay.

Cleaned everything up & the lights worked fine.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Well, just had another look and all looks immaculate, the bloke definatley rekons that its the feed to the relay (one of the orange wires) but he doesnt have the first clue where they come from, his only guess is the switch inside, but when u turn the dipped headlights on, the light on the dashboard comes on to say that you've turned them on. It's starting to do my head in now. Cheers anyways tho, Nick

Reply to
Nick Gard via CarKB.com

Ok, well, after playing with the switch inside this morning, the headlights worked occasionally, but i cant work out how to remove the switch, ive gt the 2 screws undone, but cant slide the switch out because the dash is in the way. Any ideas?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Gard via CarKB.com

I may be completely wrong here but can you just remove half of the plastic around the steering column to get to the switch?

Another thing that may be of use is a multimeter, Maplin often sell quite nicely specced DVMs for around a fiver.

Reply to
Malc

Yeh, ive managed to get the top half of the surround off, and undone the screws, but then it has to be slid out to the left, thats where the center console gets in the way.

Reply to
Nick Gard via CarKB.com