106 headlight problem

Ok, heres one for your all. I have a 1993 Peugeot 106. Mum was driving along the other day and both headlights went out at the same time and I was left with side lights and full beam only. I posted a thread in march about this problem, and someone said it was the dim-dip resistor. So i removed the part last week so I could go to a scrappy and show them what I was after. Havent had chance to do that yet, but when playing about the other day, when i switched on the headlights, they decided to work. So all was working properly, with the dim-dip resistor sat in the kitchen. Been out to the car this morning and now only the sidelights are working. The car hasnt even left the driveway in a month. Quite keen to get the problem sorted soon, as i have my driving test next week!

Help!

Cheers. Nick

Reply to
Nick via CarKB.com

You've got a loose connection somewhere. Probably not at the headlight end as the lights both go out and the other lights aren't affected. So it's going to be around the fuse box or the switch on the steering column or if there's a relay involved around there somewhere. Unfortunately my Haynes BoL is in SWMBO's car at the moment and she's at work so I can't guess any more accurately than that. Try waggling wires and see if the lights come on/go off.

Reply to
Malc

Cheers for your help. Ok, had a play about with it today all connections seemed ok, but on reconnecting the resistor, i only had headlights and sidelights all the time, even when switched to sidelights, and after a minute or two, started to smell a bit iffy and started smoking, which i guess means its nakered?? so, must be the resistor then.

Cheers

Reply to
Nick via CarKB.com