214 Si with no dipped headlights.

My dipped headlights ceased to function as soon as it got dark last night. All the other lights, including the main beam, are ok. According to the wiring diagram dipping is controlled by a relay and a resistor. I can hear the relay clicking when I operate the switch, so I am assuming that it is working. Will replacing only the resistor get my dipped beams back?

KC

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

Will replacing only the resistor get my dipped beams back?

Well, according to the book the resistor is behind the nearside headlamp unit but I can't find it anywhere. Do I have to remove the unit to get at it?

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:36:03 +0100, "Keith Cunningham" wrote this with the utmost thought:

Check your bulbs, if one or both dipped filaments are dead then the "smart bit of the car" might be forcing full headlamps on.

The relay may be clicking but that doesn't mean it's actually switching from one beam to the other. If the lamps are okay check you're getting current through the dipped supply. if not then swap the relay. Forget about the resistor.

Reply to
losttheplot

I soaked the resistor with WD40 and everything's working now. It's in a brilliant place, facing forward below the nearside light unit. It must be difficult for anyone with bigger hands than a monkey to replace the thing.

Reply to
Keith Cunningham