106 Problems..Can anyone help?

Hello,

I have a 1999 Peugeot 106 Zest 2 1.1. Very happy with it but I currently have a few faults that I was wondering if you could diagnose as I dont have the first clue about them!

Here goes! :

  1. Idle is lumpy - not erratic but the idle when in neutral is lumpy. Would disconnecting the battery overnight to reset the ECU help? Or changing spark plugs?

2.Accelerator pedal rather stiff - would this just be a case of moving the spring clip on the cable under the bonnet?Any tips for optimum placement?

  1. Acceleration hesitant - usually in 3rd or 4th gear theres a bit of a lul before the engine kicks in - usually happens when flooring the accelerator.

  1. Clutch not level with the brake and acelerator pedal - clutch pedal is more towards driver seat than the other two pedals - and the lever the pedal is attached to arcs to the left rather than the right as the brake and accelerator do- is this normal?

I've ordered a new set of Super4 spark plugs, do you think that this may sort out the idle and hesitant acceleration of the above?

Sorry for being vague - first car syndrome!

Cheers~!

Al

Reply to
infernouk

No 1-3 sounds like to me carb problems.(give it a good clean)4, check the ajuster end and see how far it is ajusted it might need new cable or new clutch,when did it have new plugs? and h.t. leads?to see if it needs new leads start the engine up at night in the dark and see if there is any sparks going a cross each leads.

Reply to
Chrs

Hi, thanks alot for the reply, it's much appreciated. Unsure of when it had new plugs and leads - only had it 3 months. Will check out the leads.

As for the clutch pedal height, whereabouts do I adjust this?

Cheers again

Alex

Reply to
infernouk

According to Haynes on later models (i.e. yours) the clutch travel is not adjustable as the clutch cable is self adjusting. So either the clutch cable is stretched, the clutch is worn or it is entirely normal. As my wife's old 106 has departed this life on the back of a low loader I can't go and check.

Reply to
malc

As mines a 1999 model I dont think it has a carb as it's fuel injection...is that correct?

Anything else I should take out and clean? Air filter perhaps? What about the fuel pump?

Many thanks again for all your help

Alex

Reply to
infernouk

The Haynes BoL fault finding guide for erratic idle lists clogged air filter, vaccuum leak at carb/throttle body and associated hoses, worn or faulty/incorrectly gapped plugs, uneven compression, worn camshaft lobes, incorrectly tensioned timing belt (!!) or blocked/worn injectors.

Start with the simple things like plugs, leaks and filters. The BoL does say every 12k miles to clean the fuel pickup filter which involves taking the fuel pump out of the tank.

Reply to
malc

and to do one of them pumps is a pain. i had to replace one in a pug

106 not a job i would love to do many times.
Reply to
Chrs

hi just been reading your 3rd quote and i have got exactually the same problem with my 1999 quiksilver but this mostly only happens when it is cold,my car is fuel injection so i am sure that yours will be to what size engine is it

"infernouk" wrote

Reply to
snez