1974 Peugeot 504 diesel overheating

My 504 just got out of the shop last night for the brakes (it is sporting a brand new vacuum pump), but now is apparently overheating. There are wisps of steam coming out from under the hood, especially when the car is idling at red lights for over 15-20 minutes.

If the car is at speed, this does not seem to happen.

Could this be a bad water pump, radiator that needs flushing, or something else?

In the mean time, I just turn off the car at every red light for the

45 ~ 60 seconds of the traffic light cycle then start it up again.
Reply to
Paraguay2

When the car is at speed there is enough air being pushed over the radiator to cool the engine so that makes me think that the pump is OK. So might be a malfuctioning fan. Is the 504 old enough to have a non electrical fan? It is possible the shop accidentally disconnected either the fan or the sensor that controls it when they fixed the vacuum pump.

Another way of cooling the engine if it is just the fan is to run the heater. This transfers the overheating problem to you, but you have a cooling system and it is less catastrophic if you get hot than the motor. This trick has saved me twice from dead electric fans on hot days in heavy traffic, which is just when you find out that the fan is not working of course.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Hi,

Glad to hear you had your brakes fixed.

It seems to me that the water pump is belt-driven by another belt than the vacuum pump (one belt is driving water pump from the crankshaft, one belt is driving the vacuum pump from the water pump), so I'd first check the belts' tension. And I hope you changed it with the vacuum pump (it was time to change this, for a couple of dollars).

Second thing to check is the correct fan clutching. Keep in mind it uses a motor-driven, electromagnetic-clutched fan.

Pretty classic, until you're idling for a long time (and especially in a hot day), in traffic jams or under heavy load & low speed (typically on a hillclimb).

HTH,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T