405 Handbrake won't hold

This is a 1993 Peugeot 405 estate 1.9TD.

I replaced the rear brake shoes today and followed the instructions for setting the handbrake, however, regardless what I do, even if I have it as tight as I dare, the moment it's used, the handbrake goes to the limit of it's travel and I'm running out of adjustment.

I have adjusted the "auto-adjusters" so that the drums just fit back on.

My thoughts are a new handbrake cable, or am I missing something else?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Was it that bad before you did the brakes? If yes then probably cable if no then you've done something wrong. My bet would be the auto adjusters. I've had problems getting htem just right in the past, mainly because I don't understand how they work.

Reply to
malc

I had to change the two short cables to get my 405 handbrake to work. The outer had corroded and partially collapsed so the inner would not move fully.

3rd party spares from the local motor factors were not dear. The whole thing is an appalling design but all cleaned up, and greased where appropriate, it does work. The MOT inspector was quite complementary about my handiwork! Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Jack the car up with both rear wheels of the ground. remove the drums and see if the cable is pulling the shoes out to hold on to the drum.if they are doing the job watch with care to see if the cable is letting the shoe return to the right place,by looking at the cables from under the car u should see if they are both pulling up the shoes,

Reply to
Chris

Thanks to to you all.

I have replaced both rear cables and after an amount of running the shoes have now centered and I was able to reset the adjusters.

Last night it was a lot better. I will expect to have to tweak/fine tune it in a couple of weeks as the new cables bed in/stretch.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Give it time maybe a week then you will be able to ajust it all

Reply to
Chris