406 diesel

Never see much on here about the 406 diesel, maybe they never have problems ( I hope )

Bryan ( proud 406 diesel owner from Winchester UK )

Reply to
Zoab

Not my 1994 Xantia with XUD tdi engine. 160,000 miles and never missed a beat. Now living in Naples. Was leaking engine oil around the cambelt at 130,000 and my man cured it by fitting new crankshaft and camshaft seals. Still on original clutch after years of towing caravan through Europe. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The 405 I used to have had the 1.9 Turbo Diesel which was extremely reliable, getting to 114k miles with no faults and, as far as I know, the same unit went into the 1.9 TD 406's. My 406 is a 2.0 HDI and performs much better than the earlier TD models. However I have had one fault which seems to be pretty common to the HDI models. The fuel lift pump, which is in the tank, starts to break up and allows metal filings to contaminate the fuel system. Peugeot's answer is to simply replace the entire system, from tank to injectors, at a cost of £3,000+. When it happened to me, a non Peugeot mechanic checked that the filters were still intact (thus holding back the worst of the swarf) and flushed the system replacing only what was necessary. Even so with the cost of the pump etc. the whole job was £800. That was two years and 15,000 miles ago. It seems however to be the only problem that regularly comes up on this group and, like all Pug diesels the engines seem to go on forever.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks