205 STDT Diesel Fuel Consumption

Right I'm back............ I'm still only getting 42mpg, I've replaced the air filter, taken it for a blast with injector cleaner in (hardly any smoke).... My front brakes seemed to be not releasing properly from the discs, as with my wheels jacked up they only turned 1 or 2 revs once spinned, I've had the front brakes overhauled and now they turn for 2 or 3 revs once spinned but still seem to be binding slightly.... The mechanic said that sometimes the calipers can destort on diesels which can effect the braking efficiency..... the front wheels should spin freely, shouldn't they?? Anyone else had the same problem? As always, any help much appreciated

Reply to
mfunsta

I've got a 205 turbo diesel and over the past 5 years have averaged 49 mpg in fast driving (in a hilly area) and traffic - no long motorway cruises. To test for binding brakes, lever the pads apart with a screwdriver until they don't touch, then try. (And pump the pedal to get them back BEFORE driving off!) Suggestions for you:

  1. Check front wheel tracking.
  2. Check the spray pattern of the injectors.
  3. Check that there are no leaks of air *into* the rubber pipe behind the engine that connects the metal fuel pipe to the pump. A tiny air leak will reduce the maximum pump pressure and spoil the spray pattern as well as a worn injector would.
  4. Check pump timing.
  5. Replace fuel filter.
  6. Are the handbrake cables sticking & keeping the rear brakes applied? This can be intermittent, I've found.

HTH, Dave

Reply to
Dave