Citroen ZX Brakes

Hi,

My mother in law has owned from new an 8 year old ZX 1.4i which has covered a measly 12,400 miles.

The car had been garaged for 3 weeks before I drove it from her house to mine last night (25 miles.) From the outset the whole car shook every time I pressed the brake pedal. This shaking appeared to be coming from the front wheels, and felt exactly like severely warped discs. As the car came to a standstill the brakes could be felt to be snatching as the wheels rotated. This continued for the whole journey. When I was not braking, the car drove normally.

I hadn't driven the car for ages and presumed that the discs had warped but she hadn't noticed.

I drove the car today and found that the brakes are now fine. Really uncanny, they didn't snatch, grab or cause juddering! I jacked the car up and found the front brakes to be in good condition. The original pads are about half worn and the discs are clean, unlipped and show no signs of overheating.

I intend to clean the whole lot with brake cleaner, and check the callipers are moving freely.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to whether I'm on the right track with this course of action. I can't believe the brakes could be so bad last night, and fine today. Is a sticking calliper the likely cause? Or something else I need to think about?

Thanks.

Reply to
Doctor D.

I would say its a sticky caliper coupled with rusty discs from lying up for

3 weeks. Your drive home freed it up, but definately check the calipers "float" freely, it's probably marginally lubricated, possibly a torn rubber boot on one of the slides.
Reply to
Stuart Gray

I've had a ZX for about 4 years (93/94 I think). I've had to have both calipers replaced because the pins fouled the calipers and caused them to drag. Eventually I was getting 2k miles per set of brake pads on one side...

Reply to
deadmail

Thanks Gents.

I've fitted new pads and discs. At £35 all in for good quality branded items - seemed churlish not to after

8 years!

I've thoroughly cleaned the callipers with brake cleaner and they seem much better. One of the pads was more worn than the other three, and the one of the discs showed the distinct mark of one of the pads having been stuck to it for some time.

After a run to bed them in the brakes now feel much better.

Reply to
Doctor D.