205 STDT Diesel Fuel Consumption

Right then... After my first tankful, I've returned 42mpg, this seems a bit low as I was expecting in the region of 50mpg. The car has done 83000 miles, was driven at no more than 3000rpm on a 12 mile commute (city and dual carriageway). Is this indicative of a short, cold commute? and/or should I look at replacing the air/fuel filters? any info would be appreciated...... cheers

Reply to
tim_murdoch

Certainly check the air filter, and clean it with a vacuum, or replace if it looks dirty. The other thing is how you drive, and how it has been driven before. If it has always been driven at very low revs, then a lot of crap will have built up in the engine and exhaust. First thing, take it to a long empty road, preferably not in town, and put your foot down to the floor in second gear. Leave it there for 20 seconds or so. You will almost certainly see a cloud of black smoke at first, but this will clear. It will then drive better. This is a useful thing to do before the emissions test in the MOT. The other thing to check is how you are driving it. The turbo does not really come in until at least 2000rpm, and there is little power lower than that. In a higher gear, fourth perhaps, try accellerating hard, put your foot down, then slowly release it, and see how far up you can bring it before the rate of accelleration reduces. You will find that too much weight on the go pedal only burns more fuel, but gives little in accelleration. To sum up, don't let the revs drop too much if you want accelleration, and keep a light right foot.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for your advice Brian, I'll give it a go

Reply to
mfunsta

It's quite low. I have a 205 GRDT, and in normal brisk driving average just over 50mpg, dropping down to mid-40s when really caning it. If you drive at 45mph in granny mode, then you can get better than

60mpg, but the difference between normal driving and hooning isn't that significant, which is nice :-D

Cold/short runs don't affect fuel economy in a diesel nearly as much as they do a petrol, although sitting in traffic obviously does.

The non-intercooled engine in the 205 is less turbo-peaky than the intercooled 90BHp variants used in the 405/306 etc.. and is quite driveable from below 2000rpm. Probably worth putting a new air filter in, and some injector cleaner then take it for a good solid thrash for a few miles. This also gives you chance to find out exactly where the rev-limiter cuts in :-) It's probably worth checking that none of your brakes are binding.

205TDs rock, btw :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone