306 1.9TD Benefits of Engine Oil??????????

Hi, Just did an oil change on my 1.9TD S reg 306. In the Haynes manual think it says 10w40 or 15w40 cant quite remember. Anyhow I bought some 10w40 from Halfords and is said nothing bout Turbo engines infact it said suitable for non turbo.....So I got 5w40 fully synthetic oil cos it said suitable for turbo and demanding driving, which at present I'm driving long motorway distances at speed.... Anyhow is this ok or not? What are the benefits of using a 5w40 if any?

Oh and while under the car I looked at the discs and I would have thought they should havea smooth groove in them which had been worn away by the pads but when i ran my finger over it it seemed quite bumpy is this normal? as im getting them replaced soon.. Cheers Oli

Reply to
The Question Asker

Dont really know a lot about oil ratings and what they mean, i am sure someone will give you a better answer about those but i have to recomend the castrol magnatec gtd range.

i started as a bit of a sceptic at first but thought i would give it a go an have to say i have never looked back. mine seems much perkier and a lot quiter in the morning than with standard oil. mines a 306

1.9d non turbo, which i know is different to yours but hey, in my opinion it is worth the few extra quid
Reply to
ADCB

Reply to
The Question Asker
5w is thinner when hot than 15w. it may be too thin to give protection at temperature.
Reply to
SimonDS

suitable for

motorway

I can recommend Castrol GTD available from Halfords and it only costs about £14 for 5 litres. My 1995 306 XTdt has been running on it for over 120,000 miles and I've never had a problem with the engine or performance. I'd say that its not so important about the type of oil, rather just make sure it's replaced regularily. Because I generally do over 20,000 miles a year, it was never more than a few months before I needed the oil changing (6,000 mile interval). As another poster mentioned, perhaps better oils do reduce startup engine noise a little but to be honest this has never been an issue for me.

normal? as im

I guess if you are getting them replaced soon you needed worry about the current discs. Some people have had vibrations whilst braking after having their discs replaced. Unless you have a good reason for wanting to changing the discs (i.e. poor performance or just dangerous), I'd advice you leave them alone!

Stuart

Stuart Dalby

Hello,

It does, and some can improve fuel economy, because they are thinner. IMO, a good basic oil for a 306 TD would be a semi-synthetic 10w40, like Esso Ultra (may be called a different way) or Total Activa 7000.

My brother runs Esso 10w40 Diesel / Turbo-Diesel on his '90 205 DTurbo,

20,000 miles / year, mostly motorway / road, no problem. Damn easier to answer for HDis :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The oil specification is not only the 10w 40 etc, it's the C or S that you should look at.

C ( such as CF, C etc) refers to Diesel engines ( Comercial) . S ( SG, SH etc) refers to Petrol ( S?)

These letters refer to the wear characteristics ( higher the letter the better the protection ( CC= bad CH = good etc)

I would guess the synthetic you purchased was a lot better on engine wear and carbon removal etc than the £11.99 stuff.

Reply to
Andy Clements

I thought that the C and S referred to the method of ignition, i.e. Compression and Spark..

Reply to
John Bone