Anyone know of a good source of circlips?

Offline? I only need one, so I don't fancy ordering a mixed 200 pack online when I really need it today, and the postage is nearly the same as the cost of the pack. Halfords don't have them infact sales scrote on parts counter said "You need a what?". B&Qs fixings aisle had spring washers but no circlips.

Going to try the local motorfactors on the way home, and local Maplin at dinner, but I don't fancy my chances with either.

After adjusting the wastegate rod on the Saab, I couldn't refit the old circlip as it had turned to dust on removal. so temporarily, I used a small cable tie. But that fell off today so the rod detached form the gate arm, and I felt like I was driving a fleet mondeo on the way in, as every time the boost reached atmospheric, the wastegate would get pushed open. Stuck another cable tie on for now, but I really need somekind of replacement circlip or even slide on safety clip to clip into the groove.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

A decent accessory shop should have a selection pack. Or try an engineer's supplier - Yellow Pages.

If you've no luck today, mail me with the size - I've got one of those selection boxes. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'll have a poke arround a few places this after on the way home cheers. I could do with one of those selection boxes of circlips and copper washers myself.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Found some locally cheers.

Local A1 store had a nice rack with all sorts.

Got a pack of mixed external Circlips, and mixed E clips. One will fit.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

What's a "circlip" ?

Are you talking about a jubilee clip ? (threaded ring, that you can tighten with a screw, for joining pipes and hoses)

If so, then B&Q *do* sell them - and they have a huge selection. Infact, you should be able to get one from just about any hardware store.

Reply to
Nom

Nope, like a washer with one open portion, and tags with a hole in to use with circlip pliers.

External circlips sit in a groove on a shaft to hold something such as a a non load bearing object in place, internal circlips sit in a groove in a bore to hold in things like seals and bearings. They are opened or closed by pressure, and just clip in and out.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's a device rather like a springy washer with a slot cut in it, and some form of 'handles' either side of the slot. It fits in a matching groove in either a housing (internal type) or shaft (external type) to locate a bearing etc

No.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd call that a hose clamp.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Think worm drive clip is more accurate - hose clips can be different types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Like spring loaded kind, and the wrap arround G Clip type, that just wind round a key type fastening like you find on a Sardine tin.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Circlip is totally different to a jubilee. As a rough illustration think of the little things they used to use to hold a window winder on to the window mechanism (that would be a manual window winder, so you may have to think back really far :)

Reply to
Lordy

this

dojj

In article , snipped-for-privacy@fsnet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep, thems the babies.

Ended up grabbing a mixed pack each of E-Clips, External Circlips, and R pins.

Found an Eclip of roughly the right size (if I need to adjust or replace the wastegate actuator again) and then used an R Pin through the hole were the original anti tamper wire lock would have gone to make sure that should the E Clip be the wrong sie and come off the wastegate rod can't become detached.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@fsnet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

A Saab Mastertech told me that it should be an E-Clip, as that is what Saab use on them.

So an E-Clip is one, and it means I can remove it with a screwdriver instead of pair of Circlip pliers now.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@fsnet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Mine are for external clips. I find them invaluable for winding back Saab front calipers when changing the pads, as I don't have the proper saab tool.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ah righty.

Pug use them to hold on the piece of fabric trim, under the glovebox, on a Mk2 Pug 405 :)

Reply to
Nom

Yep, thats the kind of thing. But in this case, holds the wastegate actuator rod onto the shaft on the wastegate flap on the turbo.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

My winders are held on by tapered pins.

A circlip is an evil creation that requires pliers that never fit, and hawk like eyesight to find after they've popped out of said pliers and flown many yards through the air. They're especially good at this if you happen to be working outside, preferably near a flower bed or unmown lawn.

Reply to
Stuffed