406 Air Bag fault: Underseat wiring

I've got a 2001 Peugeot 406 Estate.

A couple of days ago the Air Bag warning light came on during a journey. Next journey it did not, but now it is permanently on (except for a brief flash at start up)

I've done a Google search in this newsgroup, and discovered a dozen of so posts on this subject, all with the advice to remake the connectors leading to the seat belt tensioner under both front seats. I've done this in so far as cleaning up the contacts. No luck.

There is still 6 months to run on the 3 year warranty, otherwise I would have re-soldered to make sure. My local main dealer tells me to bring it in, and the fault will be fixed under warranty, but before I do that, (and they end up mucking something unrelated up :-) ) does anyone have any other info on this problem ?

TIA

Reply to
Mark Carver

I am French and I got exactly the same trouble with the same connector on a C406 (Coupé); I wrote to Peugeot CEO (Mr FOLZ in Paris) telling him that I requested a short term, free and efficient curing of the trouble, as being safety related; Peugeot HQ instructed the local dealer to perfomr the repair (Changing the connector by one of much better quality) . This was done and the trouble went out.I think you should do the same writing at least to the Peugeot main representative in your country. Good luck! "Mark Carver" a écrit dans le message de news:brpj9e$60af5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-75131.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
alain.tchorny

Oddly enough this was covered under my warranty.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Reply to
ADCB

90% of the time it is the connectors under the seat. Get them cut out and soldered together. The reat of the time it is split between the ECU and the steering wheel rotary connector. Only by using the Diag tool at the main dealer can you know for sure, and they should use it to delete the faults after repair anyway.
Reply to
Nigel