306 Alarm

Bit of a weird one this...

I was attempting to get the light working in the boot of my 1993 306 XLD. After an hour or so I realised I was playing around with the tailgate alarm switch instead of the tilt sensor that turns the light on and off. I assume that the alarm was factory fitted.

Meanwhile I'd had an accident with the multimeter on its ammeter setting and caused the central locking fuse to blow. I got in the car and, for some reason, turned the ignition on only to have the indicators blink wildly for a couple of seconds follwed by the red alarm LED on the dash blinking every couple of seconds or so.

This suggested to me that the alarm had been armed, which surprised me as the alarm hasn't worked since I've owned the car. I was intrigued and found that I could only disarm the alarm with the ignition on by sliding the interior light switch on the roof console towards the windscreen. As soon as I turned the ignition off the alarm would disarm. I replaced the central locking fuse and the alarm has returned to its non-functional self.

As the alarm does actually appear to be part-functional, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I would like to get the alarm working if at all possible!

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth