306 Hdi Problems (help needed asap)

Ok had recent probs with the ECU, have had that sorted now by getting an ECU, Immobiliser unit and key from the same year vehicle. Have had it coded at peugeot but peugeot said it wouldnt start...they looked over it and found a kink in one of the fuel pipes, they sorted that and then were able to start it but it kept cutting out after 5 seconds or so.. Peugeot say its the high pressure fuel pump thats gone because there are small particals in the fuel filter in the engine. Ive tested the pump in the tank for turning on which it does for a few seconds when i turn the ignition on. How can you test the high pressure pump ? Ive checked the error code with my OBDII reader i got off ebay and it is returning error 0230 which says fuel pump primary circuit malfunction. I dont know how accurate the code reader is tho. Ive changed the relay and also checked the fuel cut of button under the bonnet which is fine, ive also pressed it to eliminate things.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
hannibal2381

Particles in the fuel filter usually indicate that the lift pump in the tank is on the way out (I had the same with my 406 HDI) and is a fairly common problem. A good mechanic should be able to do a thorough flush out of the particles through the fuel system provided that the filter is still intact. Be warned that the official Peugeot cure is to replace everything from (and including) the tank to the injectors.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Don't know the year of your 306, ut there is a known problem with the earlier fuel lift pumps, in that a bearing or something in them can break up, which sends metal particles through the system. You must have a problem with this as they have found bits in the filter housing. Whether this has affected the high pressure pump as well, I can't say. The filter should prevent this, but Peugeot normally change the high pressure pump as well as the lift pump and filter when this happens (at the customer's expense of course). It may be that your lift pump in the fuel tank is not performing as well as it should.

Reply to
Brian

In message , Brian writes

Hi the biggest problem with these lift pumps in the tank is the small filter on the bottom of the pump, all it needs is a bad tank of fuel and then the filter clogs up and the pump can't deliver enough fuel and eventualy it packs in, i'm speaking from experience here, i fitted a new pump in my 406 , it lasted 4 days and packed up completely, All because of shit in the fuel ,it is possible to remove the casing and clean the stupid small filter out, typical pegueot bad design, and the pumps don't come cheap either ! , I had lotsa trouble since I bought my 406, they just not reliable like the old 405 was ............

Reply to
Johno

The 405 might be old but they keep going, mine is and thats on a k plate.

Reply to
Chris

Hi It seems strange to me that it runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out(i could be wrong!!).but it doesn't sound like a h/p pump prob .The h/p pump needs to pump min 120 bar before the injectors will fire (lift off there seat).normal running pressure on that engine is 298 bar.The low pressure one in the tank should be about 2.5 bar output and 0.7 bar return .If you can get to the diesel pressure sensor on the rail (black 3 way sensor red plug) to the left of the clip should be the signal wire at cranking you should get about 1.0 volt that then means that the h/p pump is creating enough pressure (To check it whilst cranking just disconnect the camshaft phase sensor )

can your eobd reader show parameters?

mark

Johno wrote:

Reply to
markmtbanks

Hi It seems strange to me that it runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out(i could be wrong!!).but it doesn't sound like a h/p pump prob .The h/p pump needs to pump min 120 bar before the injectors will fire (lift off there seat).normal running pressure on that engine is 298 bar.The low pressure one in the tank should be about 2.5 bar output and 0.7 bar return .If you can get to the diesel pressure sensor on the rail (black 3 way sensor red plug) to the left of the clip should be the signal wire at cranking you should get about 1.0 volt that then means that the h/p pump is creating enough pressure (To check it whilst cranking just disconnect the camshaft phase sensor )

can your eobd reader show parameters?

mark

Johno wrote:

Reply to