306 TD MPG?

Peugeot 306 Turbo-Diesel Sport 1998 (Completely standard)

Hello, I've ran my Peugeot twice on full tanks to empty. And both times the MPG works out at 39MPG. I thought i would have got a lot more than this.... I'm always hearing people say "I get 50-60 MPG - blah blah"

I know this sounds daft, but could anything me wrong with my car? I dont have a lead foot, and tear away at traffic lights. I do mainly town driving, but on both tanks, i've done a long run apprx 160 miles.

Any ideas? cheers ant

Reply to
Ant

I used to have a normally aspirated 405 1.9 diesel that did 48mpg and my current 2.0 HDI 406 does 45. I would have expected a 306 to at least match that.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

We used to have a 306 D Turbo, and normal driving would give about 40mpg. The only time we had more was on a long run. I thought I'd get more, but I liked the car anyway, Neil

Reply to
Neil D

I average 42 - 43 with a 306DT 1995 (170,000 on clock and mostly motorway driving).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Nope.

Fuel-economy varies MASSIVELY with different journies and drivers. The actual mpg figures are meaningless - it's the *change* that you need to look for (ie, if your economy has suddenly taken a large drop, then something is wrong !).

Reply to
Nom

Absolutely correct. My wife and I both often drive the same car, but I always get better economy for a similar journey, and probably get there quicker. My 405 DT estate got 47 on long runs, 43 on local, but with very short runs round town it could be much worse. they are not so economical when warming up, like most engines. By long journey I am talking of only 100 miles or more, cruising around 80. London to Stirling, 4 people plus luggage, 80 all the way, 47 mpg. Watch your right foot. Just try an experiment. Accellerate fairly hard in a higher gear from about

2000 rpm. As you do it pull your foot off, and see how far you can lift it before the accelleration reduces. That is the point you should aim for, as more right foot is only putting more fuel into the engine than it needs, resulting in smoke. The injector pump is quite a crude device really. Later electronically controlled ones might be better.
Reply to
Brian