406 break disc removal

HI, I`m trying to change the front discs on my 406 est. I have got the pads out ok but I`m stuffed if I can remove the discs. I`ve got the caliper and it`s carrier off and the two grub screws that were holding the disc onto the hub. Do I now have to remove the hub nut? if so what is its size cos I haven`t got anything that big ( ask the wife, she will vouch for that !!) Thanks in anticipation

Reply to
dmcorbett

Sorry to hear about your size problem! However you do not take the hub nut off. If the caliper is off and the two locating screws are out, hit the backside of the disc HARD with a GOOD hammer. Keep hitting until the disc flies off. NOTE the word flies. Make sure nothing is in the way when the disc comes off. If they are that rusted on, then you MUST clean the hub contact area to the disc very well, and put a smear of Copaslip around the flange adjacent to the hub nut.

Reply to
nigel

Thank you Nigel, I`m now back at work for a few days so the job is now "on hold" but in the mean time I`m gonna get me a big hammer ...

Reply to
dmcorbett