Seat Ibiza Engine Cutting Out

1996 Seat Ibiza, 1.4 petrol about 80,000miles on the clock.

Not my car so the symptoms are described second hand.

Owner says that today the engine cut out three times. The engine loses power especially when going up hill requiring a change down in gear and higher revs than normal and will sometimes pick back up but sometimes cuts out. The engine will start up again immediately afterwards.

The engine required a new headgasket and skim a couple of months ago and was running well between then and the past few days.

The car is well maintained, including regular oil, filter and plug changes.

Any ideas?

Reply to
bweebar

Levi Tate

I had problems with an earlier Ibiza, the connector to the ign. pack was corroded, it lived below the battery on that one.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for replying Mr C, I had a quick shufty today and the coil and ignition amplifier are at the back of the engine bay, bolted to the bulkhead on this one, must be a different mark to the one you saw.

Further information, it seems that before the loss of power/cut outs, the engine was idling very fast (no tachometer so no exact figures) i.e. a steady high idle at intermittent intervals during the journey.

Looks like it's off to someone with a VAG code reader.

Reply to
bweebar

Thanks.

Reply to