307 diesel Back Pressure?

I lost my oil plug and my dip stick was sticking out more than it should. I went to a Garage repair station to ask for ideas or a diagnosis, all I got was " Your Engine is F-c*xD! it's back pressure and it's F-c*xD!

36 hours later my head is also in the same state. I was not given any idea on how to rectify the problems with my car, only a sly smirk, off some greasy dip shit who was looking at me like I was some money machine. The car is running OK but it seems be going through more fuel than normal.

Any Help please would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance Tom

Reply to
Mr tank

I came across this once on a petrol engine years ago. The problem was a blocked engine breather pipe which caused pressure to build up in the sump. I suspect that faulty piston rings could cause the same effect. It might be worth going to a better garage and have a pressure test carried out on each cylinder. That would tell you if a piston was the source of the problem.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Mr tank

sounds like you could have a faulty piston rings or rings,what i have done is put some cleaner down the bores and leave it for a day or so then take the car to some place where there is a open field and start it up and just watch the shit come out of the engine with smoke etc.or do what Keith says check your engine breather pipes. good luck from chris..

Reply to
Chrs

Reply to
Mr tank

Can I just ask what diesel engine you have? TDI or HDI? 1.4, 1.6 or

2.0?
Reply to
Nigel

Hi Nigel, nothing to do with this post but a friend posted a query the other day about fitting a Peugeot reversing sensor on his 406 estate and I thought you might know the answer. He is having trouble following the instructions (all pictures) and wants to know whether he can do it without removing the rear bumper. Here is his original post:

"I have just purchased a rear parking sensor kit from the local Peugeot dealer. The kit is fine, but the instructions are similar to an IKEA fixit kit. All diagrams and no words - not very easy to follow!

It would appear that the rear bumper needs to be removed according to the instructions, but is it possible to fit the wiring without taking off the bumper, which would appear to be a two-handed job. Also there are two photos which would appear to mean absolutely nothing to the general fitting."

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Mr tank

Yes, I have fitted a few of these and the instructions are an absolute nightmare! That's the way it's going these days, so they don't have to put out multilingual instructions therefore saving paper, I guess. Towbars are another example. I have fitted them to a 406 a while ago and as far as I can recall the bumper has to come off. But have a look up from underneath and try to guage where the holes would be and see if there would be enough room to fit the sensors and the wiring.Some bumpers have a strengthening bar behind with holes in it, and it is very critical to drill in the right place, plus of course there would be no room to do it in situ. I did one a month ago on a 207 and didn't have to remove the bumper. Piece of wee wee!! Don't know about the two photos that don't appear to mean anything. Can you not scan them and post them here? Or email them to me?

Reply to
Nigel

Oh well there goes that theory!! If it had been a 2.0 HDI then a loose engine cover will dislodge the oil filler cap and the dipstick. Can also knock off the bleed screw causing a major water loss quite quickly! Haven't come acroos it on a 1.6. Sorry.

Reply to
Nigel

Hi Nigel, I saw him this evening and he has bitten the bullet and fitted them. The bumper did have to come off. He is actually a very capable mechanic, fully maintains three motorcycles himself (including a classic BSA), and the job that the instructions show as 1hr 50mins took him from

9:30am to 5pm. Anyway it's done now.

Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Which model BSA? forgive my lack of reverence here, but I built/rebuilt a lot of A7/A10s, B31/B33s from the crankcase up,and frankly things were a hell of a lot easier in those days. I would shudder at the thought of a new Honda!

djimbo

Reply to
djimbo

His is a 1957 A7 Shooting Star as far as I remember. It is the same as he had when he was a lot younger. He also has a more modern Triumph and a Honda Firebird.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks