Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage (P1762, P1764)

Hi All,

I changed the tranny fluid and filter in my wife's 1997 Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. While I had the pan off, I decided to adjust the bands. Everything was going fine until today, when the check engine light came on. My OBD2 code reader gives me the codes p1762 and P1764, which are "Governor Pressure Sensor offset improper voltage" and "Governor Pressure Sensor voltage too low" respectively. There is also noticeably lower than usual torque to the wheels from a dead start in first gear, which I assume is related...it's nowhere near as quick to get going as it usually is.

I know it's possible that it's a crapped-out governor solenoid, but since it happened so soon after I messed with the bands, I have a feeling that something I did caused this to occur. I did have a hard time getting the forward band adjusted correctly, because it was hard to get to the adjuster bolt, so it's possible that it's either not adjusted right, or it was adjusted right, but I didn't get the locknut tightened enough, so it's gone out of adjustment. Is it possible that the forward band is the problem? Or do I likely have to replace the Governor Pressure Sensor? Is there any way to check the voltage of the Governor Pressure Sensor with a multimeter?

Thanks for any help, Tom

Reply to
googlegroups

After doing a little more reading on the subject, I'm starting to think that it probably has nothing to do with the bands, and more to do with the fresh new tranny fluid helping to work sludge free that has since clogged up the governor pressure sensor. I'd be very interested to know what any of you might think...

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
googlegroups

If that was the first transmission fluid change then you could be correct. First check the connections to make sure you didn't knock them loose.

You can use a suction pump to pull fluid out the dipstick. That will give you an idea of how much gunk came free.

Did you get the filter and pickup back in properly? That can cause low pressure because of starvation.

Never did bands myself, it was easier to just let the dealership screw me out of a few bucks than take time off work. :] So I can't answer that question.

The only other question is the fluid type. Mixing some types will cause serious problems. Usually you notice this because the fluid turns to brown sludge. ATF +3 and Dexron/Mercon II are supposedly compatible, but ATF T and F are from what I read, not compatible with older fluids. It's mineral oil vs silicone. The 97 should still be using ATF +3, but check the service manual to be sure.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the reply, Doug. No, it wasn't the first fluid change, but it has been about 4 years since I did it last, and the car does have a little over 180,000 miles on it...

Okay, I'll give that a try.

I think so. They're definitely in there, and I'm reasonably certain that I did it properly.

It calls for ATF+3, but I couldn't find any, so I used a synthetic ATF

+4, which is supposedly compatible with ATF+3...I could see where it might be the problem, though...

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
googlegroups

Generally you can use +4 in a +3 transmission, but not +3 in a +4 transmission.

Found some more information here.

DougW