307sw 1.6 hdi110, miles per gallon?

Hi, I have the above car. Everywhere on the internet it says that it will do around 50MPG (UK)There are lots of reviews where people seem to be getting that sort of mileage. What a suprise - mine doesn't get above 42 and if I drive normally I get 38. It has done 80,000 miles. It has been serviced properly from day one and even when driving on the motorway I am getting 42. Is this normal? Could something be wrong and what can I do to get more mileage (Without driving like an old man)? what difference could the fuel filter make? Cheers

Reply to
Lenny

You dont know untill you have tryed.so fit one and find out.(the reason your doing less miles is you are not getting more petrol for the price as it has gone up and up over the past 2-3 months)

Reply to
Chris

the price of fuel doesn't make any difference to the mileage! It only makes a difference to the total cost. I have worked it out on how far I have gone on how many litres.

Reply to
lenny

So are you going to fit a fuel filter to see if that makes any diff to the miles you are trying to get?

Reply to
Chris

I would say you're doing well. My 53 plate 2.0 HDi DTurbo 110 averages 28 MPG in stop start town driving or typical UK driving conditions, probably no better than an equivalent petrol engine. Makes up for it on longish motorway runs when it'll hit 50 or so. The highest I've had is 52. Because of the massive price hike on diesel I'm seriously considering going back to petrol when I get round to replacing the car.

Reply to
Godfrey Wilkes

The price of diesel might come down one day .we can only wish

Reply to
Chris

my 1999 120,000 mile 406 2.0L 110hp hdi gets 50+ mpg all the time, most of the driving is on 60mph plus "A" roads. My Partner Van which has the 2.0L 90hp hdi engine does about 46 mpg on the same roads. Make me an offer in the region of £1600 and the 406 is yours. :o)

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

"Gary G Jones" top posted in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Ditto on the 406, my 2000 HDi90 with 100K on the clock only drops below

50MPG if I clog it. I would have expected a 307 HDi110 to equal that. Does this 110 have the intercooler?

Djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

I am not sure about the intercooler. But I don't think so. What does it look like? Godfrey says his does 28mpg! There must be something seriously wrong there? Especially when Gary gets 50+ all the time. Gary, can I ask how you have worked it out?

How can these cars with the same engine (mine is a 1.6 110 HDI) get 10, 15 or 20 mpg difference when we are all just driving normally? Also, why can't I EVER get the one that does 50+ :)

I think I will change the fuel filter but it isn't going to make 10mpg difference. I did a 300 mile run yesterday all on motorways and never above

75 and still only get 40mpg, this is so frustrating. A mate has a VW T5 van that does the same mpg, it can hold 1/2 ton of stuff in the back, you can sleep in it, it looks cool and it was cheaper than my 307 and will be worth more in 2 years time. Typical.
Reply to
lenny

"lenny" top posted in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

I doubt it would get 110 HP out of 1600 without an intercooler, and that's a place to start checking. OK I know this may be teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you sure you don't have one of the brakes binding or a tight wheel bearing? If it's been serviced recently they often leave the brakes a bit tight. Also try doing a tank check run on the motorway at 60MPH if you can stand it. All diesel engines have a tendancy to drink it if you exceed a speed they're happy with. I always thought the best ecconomy was when driving with the revs that gave the max torque (should be in the book somewhere), but I may have dreamed that one. and of course it amounts to Grandad driving which I'm guessing people don't buy 307 110 Hps for.

I didn't realise the 307 110 only had the 1600 engine in, last time I saw one of those was in my first 305. I daresay the top end's been altered a lot, but I bet it's the same bottom end. My old 305 did 50 MPG but only at the cost of crappy performance, it was wildly undergeared and would only do 70MPH, and that was with your teeth gritted. The governer cut in around 80 (Although the wife did once get pulled for speeding on the motorway.... women drivers eh!)

Djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

Changing the fuel filter will make absolutely no difference. Changing the air filter might.

Reply to
Brian

There are 2 versions of the HDi 110 Turbo, the older 8 valve 2.0L (which my

53 plate 307 is), and the newer more efficient 1.6 16 valve version. Also I think I'm correct in saying that the 1.6 has an improved turbo. This will account for some of the reported differences in MPG but I should clarify my 28MPG figure. This is short runs through congested town traffic where average speed is only about 10MPH or less. Unfortunately this accounts for most of my daily driving at the moment. On 'A' roads I'll get 40 - 44 MPG and on long motorway runs at the legal limit 49 - 52. The car has been regularly serviced so I don't think there's anything seriously wrong, just the driving conditions.

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Wilkes

Hi Lenny I work the mpg by filling it up to the brim, setting the trip to zero, and then next time I fill it up I make a note of the mileage on the trip. I then make a note of how many litres the pump says I have put in. I take off 5 miles for every 100 miles covered on the trip to allow for trip gauge and speedo error.

litre to gallons 4.546 litre = 1 gallon UK

I take it you are using UK gallons as your measurement and not the smaller US gallon which is 3.785= 1 US Gallon

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Hi Lenny I work the mpg by filling it up to the brim, setting the trip to zero, and then next time I fill it up I make a note of the mileage on the trip. I then make a note of how many litres the pump says I have put in. I take off 5 miles for every 100 miles covered on the trip to allow for trip gauge and speedo error.

litre to gallons 4.546 litre = 1 gallon UK

I take it you are using UK gallons as your measurement and not the smaller US gallon which is 3.785= 1 US Gallon

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

thanks for all the chatter. I check the miles per gallon by setting the trip metre to zero after filling it up. then the next time I fill up I check the mile travelled and the litres used. Divide by 4.54 and you have the mpg.

It is a 54 plate 307SW 1.6 HDI

No, the brakes aren't binding and the amount the last owner spent on servicing everything should be brand new and tip top condition. I found a booklet with all the costs - unbelievably expensive to keep maintained considering that it is only just out of warranty. Or, you could use this book as a perfect example why you shouldn't get the car serviced from the same dealer you purchased it from.

Reply to
lenny

Hi,

That's the method I use, too.

Now having the trip computer doesn't change my usual calculation method, which showed me how the trip computer lied to me : last time reported an avg

5.7L/100km (49MPG) when I calculated it as being 5.05 (56MPG). Driving around Paris and suburbs I'm getting about 50-55MPG.

BTW, I use to drive with the instant fuel economy mode, and if I depress the throttle by a couple of mm the speed doesn't change but the fuel amount drops... Just a trick to show how these "everytime turbocharged" engines are sensitive. Of course, during "basic" accelerations (i.e not really hard) I can get over 10L/100 (28MPG) :-) Worst figure I had was a very hard acceleration (2nd gear almost from idle, full load) which told me I was doing 27L/100 (10MPG). Still a bit scary :-)

HTH,

-- G.T ('02 206 2L HDi "120g")

Reply to
G.T

my old XJ jag's instant mpg computer would drop to 6 mpg if you put your foot down hard. drive it steady and 25 to 26 mpg was possible

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Just for the record, my (electrically unreliable!) 307 1.6 16v 54 plate salon (lighter than SW) has always given me about 53mpg on mixed roads but not thrashed. On trips to France mostly along Autoroutes doing about 78mph, I get 57mpg.

This will

Regards

Reply to
Peter Hemmings