405 Fuel filter change help

G`day chaps, Being a fuel filter change virgin, I wonder if you could advise?

Haynes manual is total *** It`s a 1.9 diesel (non-turbo), with the newer filter type, integrated temp sensor, accessed by the four hex bolts atop. I want to do this properly, having heard horror stories of non-starters following no/incorrect bleeding sequence. Manual says to open bleed screw.....Where ?..... front ?, back?...which line ? Is this the water bleed or fuel bleed or both ?? The only screw? I see is at the rear, bugger to get to, plastic witha circlip on. Also the long black pipe draped down the front of the motor, whats this ??

Any help greatly appreciated. Andy.

Reply to
Andrew

I Andy,

No, should be on the front.

It is the drain pipe, which is connected to the drain screw.

This is my sequence for my '93 205, same equipment as you 405 :

0/ Opening the drain screw flushes some fuel out through the drain pipe, but may cause a leak on the screw itself, that's is the reason why I don't do it. 1/ Remove the 4 BTR screws. 2/ Open the filter housing, be careful with the seal. A few fuel may escape from the top of the filter housing, don't care. 3/ Change filter. 4/ Fit the filter housing's top, secure screws. 5/ Using the little black priming pump (should be on your left when performing a fuel filter change), pump until it becomes pretty hard - but not too much, it may destroy the black pump. Hint : after pumping 5-6 times you should hear the "pfffffff" sound of air being chased from the fuel circuit. 6/ Attempt to start. If it stalls after some seconds, you have missed the priming procedure, go to point 5 and try again. 7/ If you're at this point, you can drive the myth once again :-)

Regards, G.T (bloody french pug ham) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks for the reply G.T.,

Just the one question..... Where exactly is this bleed screw, is it metal, plastic, front, back or side of housing ? OK, so thats more than 1 question ;-)

Andy,

Reply to
Andrew

Hi,

It is a black, plastic screw which is on the front of the housing. Follow the drain pipe, you'll see it :-) My best advice is to don't care about this screw - no need to move it for a filter change.

No problem, I guess I answered them all ;-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

there are no bleed sequences or special procedures for these types of filters. just remove the 4 bolts, replace the filter, and refit the top and 4 bolts, preferably with new seals. job done. steve.

Reply to
anon

Many thanks to G.T. and Steve, Job done, easy peasy lemon...etc Just got a bit paranoid about a non-starter, now runs sweet. I think the old filter had been on over 3 years, air filter the same !. Would this cause any problems ?. Injectors ? Could you recommend a fluid to run through the system ?

Once again, Thanks Andy.

Reply to
Andrew

Hi,

Ok, so see my 7th point, have a happy motoring :-)

I can tell you avoided the worst things ever : clogged fuel filter (poor performance if not engine stalling & eventually pump & injectors major fail - if engine turning with no fuel) or clogged air filter (then a Diesel engine will take its energy from oil, which revs the engine far over the limit and breaks it).

No, I have never tried any. I guess you right foot could do miracles (that's the way I gave its power to my 205D, when I bought it it struggled to take more than 110KPH (70MPH)).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T