405 1.9d fuel filter water drain

Hi Fitted a new fuel filter some time ago and now need to do the 6000 mile "drain water from fuel filter". Found a piece of plastic tube that fitted the draincock and then turned the screw anticlockwise.

Hiss of air but no water and no fuel! Must be an air lock - closed off the bleed screw. No problem starting the engine. Stopped the engine and repeated the bleed procedure - same result.

First time I have tried this - Seems a straightforward job according to the Haynes manual. Do I need to loosen off the hex bolts at the top of fuel filter housing to enable fuel/water to flow from the bleed screw ?

Bit reluctant to do this as I have misplaced my locking compund to properly lock off the bolts when the job is completed. ( Peugeot charge £1.40 each for replacement bolts)

Or is it just normal if no water has been collected at the bottom of the fuel filter for no fuel/water to flow?

Any help appreciated

Reply to
sid

Rod Marten

My Xantia 1.9td (similar engine) does much the same but without the his of air. I find the only way to get any flow through the tube is to use the priming bulb.

--=20 Malc

Reply to
Malc