405 Squealing Disc Brakes

M plate 405 estate with vented front disc brakes. I fitted new discs and pads about 6 months ago and they soon started squealing. I thought they would settle down after a while but they are still annoying me. Any suggestion of how to shut them up please?

Tia

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob,

When fitting new pads I always put a smear of copper grease on he back of each pad. This almost always cuts our break squeal.

Rich

Bob M> M plate 405 estate with vented front disc brakes.

Reply to
Richard Setford

Try taking the pads out and file a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the pad - only needs to be 2/3mm deep

Reply to
ebme.technician

to you both,

I'll give those a try

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

"Richard Setford" schreef in bericht news:47c3a8dc$0$54789$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.news.newnet.co.uk...

This seems to me a good solution if you dont want your brakes to have friction. Make them as greasy as possible.

Reply to
Linea Recta

I presume reading is not one of your major skills? True there was one character missing in the reply but he did say BACK of the pad.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

To take in to account those of us with a lower-than-average IQ, I should have worded my reply to intimate that you should put the copper grease on the NON-friction side of the brake pad.

Apologies ;)

L> "Richard Setford" schreef in bericht

Reply to
Richard Setford

I read somewhere that filing a small chamfer along the leading edge of the pads can cure squealing.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

And what makes you think the grease will stay on the back, e.g. when the pads warm up? I think after some time the grease will get all over the place. Personally I don't mind the brakes making some noise, this is "normal".

Reply to
Linea Recta

"Richard Setford" schreef in bericht news:47de1deb$0$54793$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.news.newnet.co.uk...

Well I suppose that's not your fault...

Accepted :-))

Reply to
Linea Recta

I've been putting copper grease on the back of my brake pads for over 20 years now. Every time I've subsequently replaced a pad I've never seen the grease "all over the place".

It does work, trust me.

L> "Bob Minchin" schreef in bericht

Reply to
Richard Setford

Reply to
Richard Setford

We always use copper grease on all front pads, also on rear shoes aswell it stops them from making that noise,and yes it works.

Reply to
Chris

And that nice Mr Haynes recommends it as well.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks