405 Squealing Disc Brakes

M plate 405 estate with vented front disc brakes. I fitted new discs and pads about 6 months ago and they soon started squealing. I thought they would settle down after a while but they are
still annoying me. Any suggestion of how to shut them up please?
Tia
Bob
Hi Bob,
When fitting new pads I always put a smear of copper grease on he back of each pad. This almost always cuts our break squeal.
Rich
Bob Minchin wrote:

This seems to me a good solution if you dont want your brakes to have friction. Make them as greasy as possible.
--
regards,

|\ /|
Linea Recta wrote:

I presume reading is not one of your major skills? True there was one character missing in the reply but he did say BACK of the pad.

And what makes you think the grease will stay on the back, e.g. when the pads warm up? I think after some time the grease will get all over the place. Personally I don't mind the brakes making some noise, this is "normal".
--
regards,

|\ /|
I've been putting copper grease on the back of my brake pads for over 20 years now. Every time I've subsequently replaced a pad I've never seen the grease "all over the place".
It does work, trust me.
Linea Recta wrote:

We always use copper grease on all front pads, also on rear shoes aswell it stops them from making that noise,and yes it works.

And that nice Mr Haynes recommends it as well.
--
Keith Willcocks
To take in to account those of us with a lower-than-average IQ, I should have worded my reply to intimate that you should put the copper grease on the NON-friction side of the brake pad.
Linea Reta wrote:

Well I suppose that's not your fault...

Accepted :-))
--
regards,

|\ /|
No, you're right. It's not my fault you have a lower than average IQ
Linea Recta wrote:

Try taking the pads out and file a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the pad - only needs to be 2/3mm deep
<------ Disc rotation <---------- _______ ______ | \ | | As new After filing
It worked for me on the wifes 206:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.autos.peugeot/browse_thread/thread/553c4a860e7d7736?hl=en
snipped-for-privacy@g2recruitment.com wrote:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.autos.peugeot/browse_thread/thread/553c4a860e7d7736?hl=en Thanks to you both,
I'll give those a try
Bob

I read somewhere that filing a small chamfer along the leading edge of the pads can cure squealing.
--
Keith Willcocks