ulysse brakes

I can`t get the rear drums off to check for wear etc as they appear to jam on the shoes when you try to pull/tap the drum off..All works fine except for excessive pedal travel. Front disc and pads changed in last 6 months so not them.How do i slacken the shoes off to remove the drum. There is no inspection hole i can see through which to wind back the adjuster.

Any help please??

TIA

Reply to
Capt T

it can just be brute force needed to get the lip of the drum over the shoes, try rotating the drum as you pull. worth slackening the handbrake cable, on other vehicles I have (rarely) had to knock a wheel stud out and use the resulting hole to move the adjuster

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the brake shoes should be at the minimum clearance that will allow free rotation when the brake is released. As the drum wears a lip is formed at the unused edge of the drum.

If the drums are removed on a regular basis and the lip ground or filed away, the drums will be easy to remove.

Unfortunately, no matter who services the vehicles, the drums are not removed often enough to keep the lip at the edge a reasonable size.

So, whoever ends up trying to get the drums off has a problem.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful