406 dimming lights

Can anyone tell me why my 406 2.2 HDI's lights dim for a fraction of a second everytime I change gear, especially before the engine has fully warmed up. I know of another 406 owner with the same problem, so i'm guessing it's some sort of design foible.

Regards Phil.

Reply to
Philip Western

Wichita

I had similar on a 405 and I put it down to the drop in current from the alternator as the revs dropped during the gear change. I also noticed that revving the engine from tick over made them brighten and switching headlights on while ticking over slowed the engine down.

Reply to
Buccaneer

on 405 diesels on warm up it was down to the post heat facility which kept the heater plugs switched on until 65 deg c coolant temp on a 406 hdi it shouldnt need them but it may be due to the heater booster which consists of 3 heater plugs fitted into the cooling system which heat up the coolant running into the heater to boost heater performance in cooler climates whats the temp where you are?

Reply to
Mindwipe

It's hitting around -1 to 4 centigrade around cambridgeshire this week so guess you may have something there. Thanks for all your help guys. Phil.

Reply to
Philip Western