406 erratic idling

Hi, I have a problem with my 1997 2.0 auto 406. Sometimes the idle is very erratic, and it sometimes cuts out completely. This seems to happen most often after a fast run, eg at a roundabout coming off the motorway. I've read several posts reporting a similar problem, and the advice seems to be "clean out or replace the stepper motor". Is this a job I can do myself, or do I have to give more money to the dealer. I've already paid for the privilege of having them read the ecu, and tell me it's not stored any faults.. Thanks in advance, Martin

Reply to
Martin Thompson

This is cut and pasted from a previous reply of mine to the same question. Hopefully it'll make sense.

I use aerosol brake cleaner. Make sure the ignition is off and remove the stepper motor (small torx screws,and can be tight). spray the cleaner over the piston and allow to dry. Also spray into where the piston goes, but not too much. Put the stepper motor back. Start the car and rev it to 3000 for 10 to 15 seconds, just to clear the cleaner out. Now allow to idle. If it stalls, or idles too high, it needs to be initialised. Switch off the engine, switch on the ignition, then off for 10 seconds, then on for 10 seconds then off. Now start and see how it idles. If necessary repeat the operation. If it is still messing about, switch off and disconnect the battery, then the ECU and leave disconnected for a minute (make sure you have your radio code!!). then reconnect the ECU, then the battery, then repeat the initialising operation again. That will hopefully do it. If not then you need a new stepper motor.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on, Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Thompson