406 faulty wipers

hi i have a 1999 v reg 406 exec hdi 110. (face lift model?). The wipers only work ok on the slow speed. The fast speed will work some time but will not work if the slow speed has been in use for a time. The wiper blades stop as soon as you switch to fast. You have to keep the switch on to do a single wipe and release when wiper is at the bottom of screen (wont self park). Start screen wash - washer works but wipers dont move. Bought a new motor but wont fit as this is a mk2 motor. Do you think this is a motor fault or are there any relays hidden somewhere or is it a steering column switch fault.

Reply to
cofi

406's are known for problems with the steering column stalks, I suspect this is where your problem lies. I thought it was just the Mk1's - but there you go. It could also be the motor, I don't know much about that, but the VW wiper motors have three feeds, negative, fast and slow. - so if this is the same it could well be the motor, worth sticking a bulb or meter across the feed and checking for power at the motor when it stops.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

406's with rain sensors are also well known for wiper motor faults where rain water gets inside the motor
Reply to
mindwipe

Many thanks for the info, I?ll try the stalk for faults. I was not aware of the problems with the stalks on the MK1 cars. Since checking and cleaning the loom to wiper motor connector the wipers work on fast speed as well as the slow. The other faults remain but no trace of water in wiper motor. Cofi

Reply to
cofi