406 instrument panel illumination

There have been many posts about replacing the bulb which illuminates the clock and today there is a thread about a similar problem with the radio. I suddenly realised that none of the warning lights on my intrument panel were working. So if the oil pressure went to zero or the engine was about to blow up I would not know bout it it (until I saw smoke!). The vehicle was almost due for its 100k service so I gave it to the dealer to fix. The section in the Haynes manual was a bit daunting. But what I wanted to winge about is the bad design which has an alarm light which is invisible if the backlighting bulb/s fails. So because a bulb blows you lose your engine! OK - an alert owner would spot the fact that the lights were not working - they all come on when you turn on the ignition. But a system which depends on noticing that something is NOT there is inherently unsafe. I like one which flashes red lights when something needs attention.

Reply to
Ken