Instrument Panel Illumination Problems

Seems the instrumentation panel illumination on my old 1993 LS400 is failing - sometimes (not all times), when the car is cool, the illumination would not be on until after driving 10 minutes or so, then it starts to flash a few times and then it turns on.

What's causing this and what should I do ? Would I need to change the whole instrumentation panel or maybe just some lights/switches ?

Thanks for any diagnostics /suggestions.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Liu

The instrument panels are known for burning out after a certain number of miles/years. If you, like most people, want to know your speed when driving, day and night, then you need to get the new parts installed in the dashboard. My speedometer and tach needles were pretty much not functioning when I bought my 1992 ES300 used. It cost $600 at the Lexus dealer to get them replaced. (that included the two red needles, and, while they were at it, eight small, white, behind-the-gauges illumination light bulbs.) I didn't bother to replace my coolant temp or fuel gauge needles, since I don't need them like the speedo. (assuming the car never overheats :)

illumination

Reply to
Larry Parker