505 turbo diesel starter

My battery mount busted and the battery cable touched metal and fryed the cable. I replaced the pre heat box, and got a starter. it turned over 1 time but not again, so I took it back. They gave me another one and benched tested it. When I put it in it doesnt turn over at all, just clicks. Now I hear that I need to get, maybe the correct starter according to my vin. Is this true, why didnt the parts house know there are different starters.

Is the starter the only thing, besides the pre heat box that are on the line, that could be wrong? Maybe amount of teeth or?

Anyone know about this?

Reply to
webfoot

Have you tried another battery? It sounds as though your cable cooking escapade has done yours no good at all.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Count the teeth on the flywheel it takes time.yes it does help if you got your vin number when you order parts like that.or a very good parts department that know what they are on about when it come to things like this.

Reply to
Chrs

replaced battery, clicks louder

Reply to
webfoot via CarKB.com

I am ordering a new starter again (3rd) and it is remanufactured in USA, (other 2 mexico) plus they asked for VIN. I was again told the amount of teeth. Gonna stay away from auto parts chains Thank You also put in new battery and cables (and mount repaired) Hope she starts,

Reply to
webfoot via CarKB.com

Did you check out the earth connection to the engine (and therefore starter). That can have the same effect if the connection is in poor shape.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Is that the wire braided looking ground? I should replace it? It does look colored from the short. I will replace this also. Thank you

Reply to
webfoot via CarKB.com