engine stop light and air con

Bit of a strange one this but here goes, I have a 406 1999 Hdi 110 The problem is, all runs 100% ok on the car (just done 1000 miles in the last 3 days) apart from, if while driving or even as soon as the car starts from cold the red "stop" light on the dash will flash and beep for about a second and if you are quick enough to read it the warning display will read " engine temp too high" obviously this cannot be as it can do this even if the car has only been running for 5 seconds. You can also get it to do it if you have been driving for hours and then switch on the air con, it does the same the "stop" light flashes on ,it beeps and then the "engine temp too high warning will flash for about 1 second and then nothing and about 30 seconds later it will flash and beep again and again and so on. As soon as you switch off the air con it will not do it again. It will not beep or flash the stop light at all if the air con is left off I should say that the aircon also works well ok as well. So my question is, which crappy sensor is giving me a false reading.

Cheers GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

The Bitron sensor if it's the same as the Xantia. I had the same symptoms when the engine was hot.

Ummm, where is it? Oh yes, around about the thermostat housing. Undo the plug and give it a good clean, switch cleaner from RS or Maplin is your friend here.

Reply to
malc

Cheers Malc, many thanks for the reply, as soon as it stops raining I will have a look and see. I will let you know if it sorts it out. Thanks again GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Raining in Norfolk

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Well keep it there. we got dry down here in surrey.

Reply to
Chrs

There was a model change in May 1999 I think. I have this later model and had the same problem. (Which is not uncommon). Remove the radiator grill (It is held by 2 plastic screwlike fixings at the top. Remove these and you can pull it forward and see the plastic clips that hold the bottom. These can be released with a long screwdriver). If you have the same model as me you will see only 1 large cooling fan. Start the engine and turn on the aircon and the cooling fan should run, but I bet it doesn't. To the right of the fan are a black and a grey connector. Unplug these and remove the sockets from the bodywork. They are each held by 1 screw. You will see that these parts look like a coil of wire in an open metal casing. These are the resistors for the fan motor speed control. You will probably find at least the black one to be open circuit. If this is the case, it is worth replacing both anyway. Cost is about £6.00 each. Part nos. are PT1267E3 AND PT1267A9. Whilst you are at it, remove the cover from the relay box to the right of these resistors, unplug the relays and check connections are clean and give them a squirt of WD40. Ditto any other connectors you can get at. Regards, Ken.

Reply to
Ken

Hi Ken, Many thanks for the your detailed description, mine too is the later model with the one fan. You will be pleased to know that you were 100% correct, even down to the fact that it was the black coil (resistor) that had broken and gone open circuit. I have order a new black and grey one from Peugeot, and they should be here Friday. Many thanks again.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Happy to have helped.