Air Con. Maintenance -- 406 Hdi.

I believe it is held to be good practice to run the A/Con for 10/15 mins per week to prevent "drying out" of joints. How can this be done during a UK winter with ambient well below +14C, the minimum discharge temp. of the A/C system? TIA W@L.

Reply to
walter.lindsay

Johny H

I wish I knew the answer to that one, it's been bugging me since 'uprating' to a climate ctrl version of the 406 aircon. On the face of it, you can't get it to run in winter, or does it turn on the compressor whenever the a/c light appears and it then tries to ctrl the temp with the fans?

jim.

Reply to
jim.

The aircon system in a car isn't there just to provide nice chilled air on a hot day - it also has a dehumidifier. Try setting the temp at whatever you feel comfortable with and the switch on the aircon. It will quickly clear a misted windscreen. Do that every morning for 10 mins and want you want to do will be achieved.

Reply to
Peter

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Yep pollen filter as well, but how do you get the compressor on to oil inside the refigerent pipes in winter if the climate ctrl doesn''t have a setting lower than the ambient temp?

Reply to
jim.

Are they not JUST refrigerant pipes - may be worth checking if just running the AC does the job - I've never read anywhere that the AC HAS to be on chill

Reply to
Peter

Hej,

The discharge temp. is about 2 degrees C. If the outside temp. is below freezing the A/C will turn off after a short while. The temperature inside the cabin will be regulated (If automatic A/C) by heating up the air with the heater matrix.

Same if manual A/C, but the system will turn off after a while if outside tempeerature is below freezing.

Regards Allan

"W@L" skrev i en meddelelse news:YdVCd.778$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Allan

Gents,

There seems to be some confusion, Peter understands how it works, what he is saying is that the air conditioner's when switched on are always working.

They work by blowing the air over the chiller, this removes much of the moisture from the air, if the air is then too cold it will re-direct the air through the heater, giving you dry air at the desired temperature.

This is how the windows get demisted quickly.

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Ah, so (Sounded a bit Japanese there) the compressor does run whenever the a/c light is on then and we were worrying about nothing. I have to say that does sound a rather fuel-inefficient way of acheiving an end, cooling then heating the air again. Up to now I've always managed to demist using the heater ... like in the olden days ;-)

Had to snip the OP due to top posting.

Reply to
jim.

We wont get into this argument again, but there's nothing wrong with top posting... :)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

If you have a manual a/c then the compressor is running as soon as you turn the a/c on. This has nothing to do with outside temperature. Turn on the a/c and select whatever temperature you want.

If you have one of these nice automatic ones you don't have to care about it. It will automatically turn one once in a while. At least that's what the manual of my Volkswagen Passat told me.

Turning on the heater does not demist your car. The only reason why your windows get clear is that warm air is able to carry more water than cold air. Using the a/c actually demists the interior since the moisty air in the car is replaced by try air from the a/c.

When driving my 206 in winter I usually turn on the a/c for the first 5 or 10 minutes (heater set to "hot as hell"). This clears all the windows. I then turn it off to save gas...

Reply to
Mohamed Chang

No but it does de-mist the windows ;-)

Reply to
jim.

Yes there is.

Reply to
jim.

No doubt here... But the moisture stays in the car. As soon as it cools down you'll have the same problem again. So what you really want is to get the moisture out of the car.

Reply to
Mohamed Chang

Reply to
walter.lindsay