Broken Keyfobs

Hi All

I have engineered a simple fix to the common "keyfob drains battery in

48 hours" problem that affects at least a lot of 306 owners and perhaps owners of other models.

I discovered that an afflicted keyfob was drawing 4mA with no buttons pressed hence the horrendous battery drain! There is a electronic fix

- modifying the button switch connections to only connect the battery to the circuit when the button is pressed - hence defeating the failed component and associated battery drain - works a treat on my 97 DTurbo (2 button fob). The only downside is that to activate the second button - you have to press the first one first. I have never used the secondary button so it isnt an issue to me!

I hereby offer to mod peoples fobs for 25 notes - Peugeot charge about

80 quid for a new fob. You'd not have any recoding to be done or anything - would you be interested? If so reply and we can negotiate offline..

Raz.

Reply to
razzleuk

second button (ir type) arms alarm and sets deadlocks so why pray tell aint you using it (cos its worth it for the deadlocks at least)

Reply to
Mindwipe

I am working on a complete solution to enable normal second button operation.. Will post progress on this early next week.

Raz.

ps. My car doesn't have an alarm and you're right I should be using the deadlocks but have never bothered.. :-)

Reply to
razzleuk

btw pug reckoned it was static causing probs with the cmos chip inside is this true then?

Reply to
Mindwipe

It would certainly appear one of the ICs has failed. Connecting the fob up to a power supply showed that it was pulling 4mA with no button pressed! However the failure does not prevent the fob from operating - as you know they work fine whilst the battery lasts. This is why actually switching in the battery with the button press is an effective solution..

Reply to
razzleuk

Hi Jeff,

Oh, the old CMOS thyristor-lock side effect. I thought it was just old stuff, and that we got rid of this annoyance with more recent chips. Usual solution is to use two diodes : 1 between input & VDD, the other between input & VSS. For this use (low power) I'd recommend signal diodes like 1n4148 (possibly available as SMD).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T