240 Wagon tailgate wiring broken at hindges! How to Fix!?

Help, help. How to you repair, replace, renew, fix broken wire at tailgate hindges. Is there a fix kit for this common problem? Radio fuse #1, keeps blowing. Idiot light for headlights is intermitant also. This is a new used car 1992 w/162k mi. Thanks for any and all Dave

Reply to
Sali Mander

You replace the harnesses both sides purchase either from your Volvo dealer or

I do not know who is cheaper but from what I have seen the ipd ones are of equal quality to oem Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

It's

--

-don

'81 242t '89 744ti

Reply to
don hodgdon

Reply to
nospam4me

If you don't want to wait for parts or spend money on new harnesses, you can just splice in extra length in the tailgate and move the good wire still inside the tailgate up to where they go through the hinge.

Then you will have to cut the bad wire out and reattach with solder or crimp connectors the wires inside the roof in front of the hinges.

The headliner is loosened by pulling it away toward the rear until the plastic retaining lip comes free from the steel headliner retainer. The hinges can be unbolted one at a time with a friend/spouse to help hold the tailgate up.

I did this on my '81 wagon. It's very nice to have a rear wiper, defogger, working electric lock, and a license-plate light. Good luck! KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

IIRC, only one side requires splicing in extra wire in tailgate after pulling intact section into hinge. Other side has enough wire to pull w/o splicing.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin